Kerio 2.1.5 versus Jetico 1

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by djg05, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

This is on the basis that you have disabled the DNS Client service and behind a router f/w. Can both of these f/w's offer the same protection or does Jetico operate in a more secure manner.

With Kerio I stand a chance of getting it set up somewhat correctly as it has a logic I can understand, but with Jetico I got totally lost even with Stem's help and gave up. I do feel though that Jetico is what I should really be using but cannot see what extra it provides. I was hoping that the new version of Jetico was going to simplify the interface but that seems not to be so.

2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I haven't used Jetico so I won't try to compare their performance, but I will offer you this. The firewall that's best for any given system and user is:
    1, the one that's compatible with your operating system and installed software.
    2, the one that matches the skill of the user.
    The best firewall in the world won't do any good if the user can't configure it. Help from forum members can only go so far. If you make a change in a firewall that you aren't familiar with, and that change takes away your internet access, help can be hard to reach. Both Jetico and Kerio 2.1.5 are only as good as the users ability to make them good. If nothing else, put the one you know on your main box and run the other on a test box and learn it there. If you're limited to one PC, use a backup program to image the system you know, then make another complete system using the one you want to learn. Use the backup software to switch between the 2 systems. It's a bit of a pain, but it lets you effectively have 2 separate systems, though only one at a time.
    Rick

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well said:thumb:

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

That is quite true but I was looking from the point of view of them being correctly installed.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Jetico is a lot more secure but as a result does give a lot more pop ups than kerio. Kerio 2.1.5 works great as a basic light firewall. You could try using Kerio + System safety monitor free, this seems to be a popular combo lately.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

and I was disapointed,............ only kiddin,.. (yes I do have a sense of humor)

Deeper packet inspection,....
    From my use of Kerio2,.. I liked it, and have no complaints,..... o.k. I did not attempt any sort of bypass on this firewall (spoofing/bad packets/invalids etc),... but as you yourself are using a router, you are protected to some degree. As mentioned by "herbalist",... use what you know,... and learn what you dont,...

I was hoping this too,... I can see that as well as a thread "Jetico making me crazy", there will be a thread "Jetico2 sending stem insane":D :ninja:

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been getting worried about this - thought it had flown out of the window.

I know it is all about using what you know best but this is a curiousity question.

What I was really trying ask is their security of operation. I know some years ago when ZA first came out and GRC was in full support of it, they said that it operated at quite a high point in the O/S. Then Tiny/Kerio came along which operated at a much lower level, but I remember talk of malware still being able to get under it and perform transparently. So I was wondering if Jetico did the same, or maybe things have moved on and this is now invalid.

I know this is a technical question but if you can keep it simple please........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.