Keeping your wireless Internet connection safe and secure

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Escalader, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If memory Servers me PSK Is Pre Shared Key. meaning they all use 1 key to get in. or passphrase. I do know this I can crack a WEP server in minutes tho I have not ever tried WPA2. as only WEP to see how secure my own network was. I changed to WPA2 when I found out.

here is the Wiki on PSK
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-shared_key

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

To crack WPA2 you need unix (linux) based software, the time required to crack it, is equivalent (quadratically - when this DUNGLISH - dutch to english translation is correct) of the length of the password. That is why a long WPA2 password is essential.

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Again, Carlos this is also done by Windows OS itself. Hence not really a need for another product to re-invent the wheel.

In Windows (XP or Vista) when you scan for a network. It will clearly show available networks as secure or unprotected. And further you can designate the network into a private or public location to restrict protocol access.

But if I remember, OA will prompt you everytime you try to connect to a new network. I can't recall if it shows if link show the details you mention.

4. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey vijayind,

Sorry for being annoying but it's not for me but for my sister who returned to college to get her MBA and she's on Win XP Pro SP-3 not on Windows Vista.

Vista doesn't suit everyone but some. An overwhelming majority of businesses and universities are still on XP and so is my sister.

I asked Escalader because I thought he was the expert on using Online Armor firewall (paid & free versions) but it looks like either he hasn't reviwed this thread lately to read my inquiry or he doesn't care at all.

Best Regards,

Carlos

5. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Hi Carlos,
    Don't worry I am the nag here :p
    Just like to state that:
    * Network Location classification into Private/Home or Public : Only available in Windows Vista
    * Check if available wireless network is secure, prior to connecting : Available in Windows XP and Vista.

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.