Keeping Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by mdinnick, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdinnick

mdinnick Registered Member

I use Mozilla Firbird as my browser and am very happy with it.,

I keep IE 6.0 because certain sites (particularly Microsoft) will not open with Mozilla, and because QuickBooks says it needs it to open (I am trying to solve this problem).

My questions are:

Is just having IE liable to increase my chances of getting malware?

Is it possible to completely get rid of IE, or is it a integral part of Windows?

many thanks

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hi mdinnick,
    welcome to wilders, mate

may this will help you

How to Uninstall Internet Explorer 6

Use the following steps to uninstall Internet Explorer 6 from a computer that is running Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows Me.

NOTE: You must have administrative privileges to install and uninstall Internet Explorer 6 in Windows NT and Windows 2000. This includes having administrative privileges the first time you start your computer after you install or uninstall Internet Explorer 6.

Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.
    On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools in the list of installed programs, and then click Add/Remove.

NOTE: Internet Explorer is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs tool if you delete the uninstall (or backup) information for the previous version of Internet Explorer. In Windows 2000, installing a service pack also removes Internet Explorer from the Add/Remove Programs tool (but uninstalling the service pack restores Internet Explorer to the Add/Remove Programs tool). For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

277624 Updated Versions of Internet Explorer Not Listed in Add/Remove Programs

NOTE: Reinstalling a Windows 2000 service pack removes the ability to uninstall Internet Explorer. The Windows 2000 Service Pack team no longer recommends reinstalling service packs as was recommended for Windows NT 4.0 because Windows File Protection prevents corruption of system files.

If Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools is missing from the list of installed programs and you did not delete the uninstall information or install (or reinstall) a Windows 2000 service pack, run Setup.exe from your Internet Explorer\Setup folder. If you are running Windows 2000, run the w2kexcp.exe /u command from your Internet Explorer\IE Uninstall folder. If this does not work, you need to reinstall Windows. For Windows 98 and Windows Me, renaming the Iemigrat.dll file and reinstalling Windows restores the version of Internet Explorer that was included with that version of Windows. For Windows 2000, reinstalling Windows restores the version of Internet Explorer that was included with Windows 2000. For Windows NT 4.0, and other versions of Windows if the above procedures are not successful, reinstall your version of Windows on an empty hard disk. Note that you should reapply any service packs or other patches, updates, or hotfixes after you reinstall Windows.

Click Restore the previous Windows configuration (or click Advanced to specify any additional components you want to remove), and then click OK.

The Internet Explorer 6 and Internet Tools Setup dialog box appears. This portion of Setup is referred to as Maintenance mode. When Setup starts, click OK to restore the previous version of Internet Explorer and shared components.
    You are prompted to verify that you want to restore the previous version. Click Yes to start the uninstallation process. When the uninstallation process finishes, click Restart Windows when you are prompted to do so.

For additional information about issues related to uninstalling Internet Explorer 6, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q296822 Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 Does Not Appear in Add/Remove Programs List

3. mdinnick

Subratam:

Excellent! - and thanks for the prompt reply.

Michael

4. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

IMHO . . . i would not completely remove IE . . . it causes no harm when not used!

5. subratam

subratam Registered Member

hey michael,

thx mate

hey libbo1,

i would say the same... and i am not sure whether MS will allow to update itself without Internet Explorer :rolleyes: will it??
    on my side... i use IE only when its needed... and thats for updation..

thx

6. mdinnick

libbo1,

That's what I thought - I have plenty of free space, so that's not an issue.

As long as it is not susceptible to malware when it's asleep, I'll just leave it be.

thanks

Michael

7. JayK

JayK Poster

Well if you use IE only for some sites, I would recommend not to give it permission to access outwards.

8. mdinnick

JayK

That's the ticket. I only really use IE for Windows Updates (now that they have extended support of Win98, and for Microsoft KB.

QuickBooks say it needs it to run, but never opens it.

I looked at Tools to see how I limit usage/access, but couldn't find the solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The problem with removing IE from windows is that windows will not run without it. Even if you use IE lite or a similiar program it still leaves several esential files needed to run windows. I never run IE for anything you can manually update windows which is a little more trouble but I don't have to run IE. You have to look a bit but you can get all of the updates.

http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=80&qu=manual+windows+update+files&View=en-us

10. little eagle

little eagle Registered Member

hate to bring up old issues but what about putting IE to sleep with windows XP o_O

11. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    For those who use Windows - here is some useful information on dis-associating IE from Windows so Windows runs much faster. Please review this page.

12. little eagle

little eagle Registered Member

:eek: how do you do that o_O

13. sig

sig Registered Member

Presumably he means by using your firewall to block IE from accessing the internet on its own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.