Keepass vs Keepassx bit size of password

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fontaine, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Mods: I meant to post this thread in 'other software and services.' Please move it if you wish.

I use Keepass on windows and Keepassx on mac.
    I tried making the same exact password entry on the same database using keepass and keepassx and the bit size of the password is different. On keepass is something like 86 bit password and keepassx it's like 110 bits. Any ideas why the password is being calculated at a different strength between to the two pieces of software? i know they are similar but still different..but isn't password strength the same regardless of platform?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

The proper way to find the estimation of the entropy of a password is this formula:

Code:
    L*log(N)/log(2) = entropy

where:

L = length of password
    N = number of [I]possible[/I] symbols in your password
    So, let's say you are using only lower case letters as the set of possible symbols. This means N = 26. Let's say your password is 16 characters in length. Therefore, L = 16. So, you would punch in those variables like so:

Code:
    16*log(26)/log(2) = 75.2 bits
    If you will tell me what N and L equals in the password you are curious about, I will calculate it for you. That way you can tell which version of the program is correct. Or, you can calculate it yourself with any scientific calculator on Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.