Keep getting errors...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dja2k, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I keep getting from 6 to 10 errors when I try to make a snapshot. Can make a single snapshot without errors besides the primary one that is there from install.
    Anyone know what can be causing it?

dja2k

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Open FDISR, click on Tools / View Activity Log and click on the left icons to see the detailed log.
    The error message might help you or us.

3. Secured

Secured Registered Member

I have recently tried to make several snapshots as well and they all contained some errors (Everything seemed to work fine though in those snapshots) until I shut down Prevx1 after noticing quite some CPU/RAM activity in the taskmanager. Any chance that you run the latest version of Prevx1 at the moment?

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Okay one error is Windows Error number 32. Others are can not create or copy folder because its being used by other process.

dja2k

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  5. ErikAlbert

Any scheduled defragger running during the copy/update process ?

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Nope. Only thing running is Prevx1, Online Armor AV+, Looknstop, XPL Socket Shield, Hostsman, Ewido 4, and RegRun. Are any of those known to lock anything that might be causing the errrors?

dja2k

7. ErikAlbert

See the remark of member "Secured". Prevx1 might be the problem.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've never bothered checking CPU when doing copies with FDISR, but I also have Prevx1 build 52 on my system. No problems no errors, so that shouldn't be an issue. Look and see what the errors are. Also sometimes if I get an error, I'll do another copy, and then there are no errors.

Pete

9. Peter2150

Not sure about the windows error, but the others... If you have PG, you will get errors on the PG files unless you disable PG. Also when I do any copies with FDISR, I always disable KAV 6.0. 2 reasons. 1) KAV will try to scan every file as it copies. Thats silly. 2) KAV is pretty effective about self protection and that could cause copy errors.

The files not copies should give you a clue what you might want to disable.
    For the windows error I'd just try a 2nd copy and see if the error persists. If it does, you might need to query Techsupport on that. But again what file is causing the error.

Pete

10. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Turned off Prevx1, Ewido, and OA AV+ and I made a snapshot without errors.

dja2k

11. ErikAlbert

Sounds like you have to kill your security setup first to make a snapshot. LOOOL

12. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Yeah I guess so! :rolleyes:

dja2k

13. Peter2150

I've not had any problems with either Prevx1 or OA AV+. Therefore I would try making a snapshot copy with just Ewido off.

Pete

14. ErikAlbert

I think I'm going to try to find another solution, to solve this problem.
    Turn off this and turn off that to make a snapshot, isn't a solution I really like.

15. Secured

Secured Registered Member

This information doesn't really help solving the problem, but I was also running Ewido v4 in realtime together with Prevx1, Socketshield and regular OA. At the specific time I got those errors I only turned off Prevx1, but who knows...maybe to many interacting realtime security applications can cause these errors ?? I think I will try to duplicate the errors.

16. ErikAlbert

I already installed Prevx1R and Ewido with real-time protection.
    I also created two snapshots with Errors=0. Nothing happened.
    So it has something to do with the rest of your system.
    Any other testings required ?

17. ErikAlbert

EDIT:
    In order to increase the torture test, I also installed ProcessGuard.
    So I had NOD32, Prevx1R, Ewido and ProcessGuard real-time protection running simulatenously.
    In that heavy duty environment, I created a new snapshot and then a total disaster occured.
    Errors in the created snapshot, but also FDISR didn't work properly anymore.
    It booted back in my primary snapshot, but there was a red message before loading winXPproSP2.
    I couldn't trust my system anymore. So I recovered my system partition with the Acronis Rescue CD.

So security softwares are quite dangerous for creating snapshots.
    I created a solution for myself, that this will never happen again with ANY security software.

18. Peter2150

Hi Erik

I think the disaster was PG related. It seems to be a disaster these days. I have been running with KAV 6.0 beta's,Online Armor,System Safety Monitor, Outpost 3.0, SuperAntiSpyware, Ghost Security Suite, and Prevx1. The only thing I do when I do a copy is disable KAV. I have make snapshots with KAV running, but it is slower. No Errors. Only thing that ever caused me consistent errors was older versions of PG.

Pete

19. ErikAlbert

dja2k's problem wasn't related to PG.
    He turned off Prevx1, Ewido, and OA AV+ and then he could make a snapshot without errors.

20. Peter2150

I know. I was refering to your.:D

21. ErikAlbert

I don't know about you guys, but I created a special snapshot, which contains :
    1. WinXPproSP2, where my internet connection is OFF, which is easy to do in winXPproSP2.
    2. All my applications EXCEPT any software for internet (browser, email) and any security software.

I use this special snapshot
    1. for working in absolute silence without being bothered by any security software messages and losing my concentration, which was the most important reason.
    2. for backup/restoration, using Acronis True Image and I like to keep my external harddisk OFF-LINE.
    3. for burning DVD/CD's, which also needs a quiet environment according my readings.
    4. for archive/restore my special snapshot, using my external harddisk to keep it clean.
    5. for copy/update snapshots, which also needs a quiet environment far away from security softwares and this thread certainly proves it.

The rest of my snapshots are used, when I'm ON-LINE.

That was one of the reasons, why I bought FDISR to create a QUIET and OFF-LINE environment.
    I couldn't do it in the beginning, because I wasn't familiar with lots of new softwares, but that newbie period is over.
    No need to tell you that everything works FASTER in this special snapshot. :)

22. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Nope. On my desktop box at home, I set up special snapshots quite some time ago for doing things like audio recording and video editing. In addition to having only the bare minimum of Windows services running and no security or other software loaded, I have all network interface devices and any other unneeded devices and drivers disabled in Device Manager for these snapshots.

It makes for a noticeably clean and smoother, faster running environment.

Also, keeping a "virgin" WinXPSP2 snapshot in archive on a separate drive (like you've mentioned before), is an excellent starting point for any new ones I want to implement.

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Don't cha just LOVE the flexibility of this FD thingie!! :cool:

Acadia

24. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

That must make your wife happy. :-*

25. Peter2150

Nope. It just means he can get more done in the same time.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.