KAV pro or personal?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Slovak, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

What does the KAV Pro version do that the KAV personal does not do?

2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

For starters, I use TheBat! emal program, and the KAV plugin is only functional if you use KAV Pro.

I'm sure there are other things ... but for me, this was enough.

-Adam

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Here is a reply from Lisa from Kaspersky UK;

"Hi, There are descriptions on the site detailing the two additional components in Pers Pro.

This is a version aimed at advanced users, the 2 additional components are Kav Inspector and Kav Office Guard.

100% protection from macro-viruses;
    Office Guard integrated into Kaspersky® Anti-Virus Personal Pro constantly controls macros executed on your computer, and prohibits any suspicious action. The unique technology of the behavior blocker underlying Office Guard guarantees 100% protection from destructive macro-virus action, leaving no chance for any malicious macros to damage your computer.

Reliably controlling data integrity
    The integrity checker, Inspector integrated into Kaspersky® Anti-Virus Personal Pro traces content modifications on your computer. If Inspector detects a virus attack (unauthorized changes in files or system registry), it will enable the complete disinfecting and recovery of your disk. Inspector does not require anti-virus database updates, since it checks the integrity by developing the hard disk files' CRC database and later, when started again, checking files for CRC modifications against the database. Unlike other integrity checkers, our Inspector supports all of the most commonly used executable file formats. This increases productivity five-fold while maintaining a high level of protection and reliability".

In addition as Unregistered mentioned, only the Personal Pro works with a Bat plugin ( if that is your e-mail client ).

In addition you have added protection with Kaspersky Office Guard and Kav Inspector as mentioned above. Moreover, you can also scan network drives with the Pro version. However, these are differences in the 4.5 versions.

Apparently in the new KAV 5 ( supposedly going gold this month) the Pro and Workstation versions will be a lot more tweakable than the Personal version. Whereas the KAV 5 Personal will have a lot less settings to tweak and will therefore have a lot of options preset.

Well worth keeping an eye on their main site and the unofficial support site for information about the new version.

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=4078e55e53d9ffff&

Plus this site has a lot of information about Kaspersky AV

http://www.iggyz.com/book/antivirus.html

4. wizard

wizard Registered Member

For home users the pro version of KAV is not really needed and in my opinion for the additional features it is too expensive compared to the personal version. If someone really thinks about spending that amount of money he should think about using KAV Personal together with a second AV program.

For me using KAV (on-demand) and NOD32 (on-acess/on-demand) is a perfect combination. :)

wizard

5. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I like the idea of being able to scan a network drive as I have two of them each in dofferent locations in my house.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Yes. This is something you can't do with the personal version.

wizard

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

With all due respect I would like to make a few side notes, if I'm allowed.

But first I would like to say:
    - I'm always happy to see an integrity checker;
    - I do have KAV and I like it (just as I like NOD32) ;
    - I don't have (alas !) any experience with KAV Inspector...

Well, some side notes:

It doesn't tell which CRC is used.
    There are more than one CRC checksum algorithms.
    But most likely it is CRC32.

It doesn't tell whether it is on-demand or on-access.
    I suppose on-demand.

It says "Unlike other integrity checkers, our Inspector supports all of the most commonly used executable file formats".
    Wait a minute.....
    Adinf32 Pro is able to check all files on your system.
    And you can use a bit stronger HASH algorithm than CRC32 if you like.
    NIS File Check from Albjan:
    You can set it up to check for files based on any extension you like.
    And you can use much stronger HASH algorithms:
    SHA1, RIPE MD 160 or HAVAL.
    And it gives you real nice info (I like the info more than that from Adinf32 Pro).

Well, as I said, I have great respect for KAV and Kaspersky.
    It were only a few side notes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2004
  8. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Interesting to say the least. Now if someone that works for KAV would kindly respond to this explaining the above mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.