Kav Powered Av's

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MalwareDie, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

1. F-Secure may get the new Kaspersky Heuristics, but it will require some work for them to implement as it is more complex than the present heuristics which are very simple to tweak/update..

2. Avira isn't better than Kaspersky, trjam............only in your opinion which is a personal opinion, not anywhere will you see a test on the actual detectionrate s stating this.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also i was stating that the removal rate of kaspersky is better than antivir as well due to advanced disinfection technology
    lodore

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ok Don, Question. With KIS, if I set it up in basic mode, I can set antihacker to trainig manually, and those popups are totally understandable. But how secure am I in this mode.

If I set it to Advance on the intial setup, that is when I get a lot of popups do to the registry part of PDM being checked I guess. A lot of them claim certain drivers are keyloggers or etc. Stuff I dont really understand. But since my PC is clean, I just go ahead allow them or add them into the trusted zone. Is basic adequate with a few modifications that I am comfortable with. And would you set scan files to scan new and changed only, if you only do 2 scans a week or just leave it at all. thanks

And lodore, this question is for Don please.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It's (trainingmode) as safe as highmode, the only difference being that in highmode you will not be asked about anything, it will simply block silently anything which not in the rules yet, so important to make sure everything is configured before using high.

You can safely allow PDM warnings you get when you install 6.0 the first time as long as you take the time read &/or research (use Google) what the popup tell you, those keylogger detetions at startup is often keybord drivers, in my trusted are logitech (Keyboard), Admuncher both with 2-3 entries and yes, it is safe...........safer than not using the PDM, it's not like you open up a hole, modifications etc will be prompted anyway.

Basic is what most should use, interactive is too much to handle for most users and basic willl still catch a lot of trojans/worms for example. I would keep all files in the on-demand scan option (& do use that option) and then use scan new and changed only in the file-av.

P.s. AntiVir/Avira has become a good AV in the last year or so, i'm not mocking it or in any way saying it's bad..............it's just easy to forget that Kaspersky has consistantly been a top AV for a very long time now.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks Don, and I kid alot but know how good Kasperskys products are, and they are at the top. One last question, does MP2 have rootkit detection and removal as that is now one of the most important factors for me. Again thanks and keep up the good work.

6. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Here is one article I found: Fighting rootkits with Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0/Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kav/kis6.0 have always had rootkit detection and removal but mp2 does have better pdm detection of rootkits
    lodore

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not so sure. As I said in another post, MSN Messenger wouldn't connect under the Strict mode, but worked fine under Normal. Unfortunately, port 139 was shown to be just closed and not stealthed. I expected it to be stealthed even under the Normal setting.

As regards to the popups, initially when training first starts after the installation of the product you will see a number of popups, but it should quieten down. I hardly see any firewall popups now.

The same applies to most permission-based firewalls. Even FSIS 2007 has that option unless you set applications to be allowed but logged.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

strict should not stop msn messenger, i never had problems with that.

the only thing 'strict' stopped for me, was my newsgroup connection, whereas normal let it connect.

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Whenever I try to sign-in using MSN Messenger in Strict mode, the following dialog box always appears even though application rules for that program allow it. However, in Normal, it functions fine and I can sign-in straight away.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.