KAV and ZA-PRO

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tec505, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Is it a good combo?
    Any conflicts?

Thanks.
    Regards.
    Mike

2. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi tec505,

I would say these are the best antivirus and the best firewall software on the market today and they for sure provide the best protection. I am not using this combo now but when I used to do so there weren't any conflicts between them.

Regards!

3. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    I have seen many users running this combo without problems... others with many problems. It is machine dependent...

The only way to know is to try it... be sure to add ZA components (zlclient, vsmon, updater, etc...) to the KAV trusted zone.
    And PDM in KAV may (or may not) conflict with ZA OSfirewall... there are overlaps between them... if you see that your running into issues with them just disable PDM in KAV or the OSfirewall in the ZA.

Cheers,
    Fax

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Mike:

Good question you placed!

I see you got a response from our resident ZA advocate,:D so let's just set that aside.

Some questions for you before responding.

1. Do you want the best 3rd party tested Anti-Virus heuristic and on demand detection and removal performance?
    2. Are you concerned with FW privacy issues such as unsolicited call homes or sending packets outbound that you have asked NOT to happen?
    3. What other combo's have you considered? Have you visited the ZA user forum or Kav forum to get a sense of user issues?
    4. What is your current security set up? Router? OS?, AV, ASW, FW, HIPS?
    5. What are your security concerns? Worries? do you use on line banking? do you surf on the wild side? Have you been suffering from parasites, spam what symptoms does your set up have?

I know it is some work to research and answer these but other wise any answers you get are just guesses or product "jiggle ism". Those types of answers are just well, opinions not based on facts.

5. fax

fax Registered Member

As usual you can't refrain to post sarcastic messages without good reasons...
    OP asked about conflicts and I have post my honest answer. Do you see any ZA advocacy there? I can't see any....

Your optimisation exercise must be really frustating to redirect your attention on non-comodo issues.... LoL

Cheers,
    Fax

6. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

I can't agree with You Escalader, nothing personall.

Those questions You asked are really important when you are choosing security setup but tec505 asked if this combination is a good combo and the answer is Yes. Sure that the best way is to try it and see if it runs well on tec505 computer because there is always a chance for something goes wrong. But as of the quality of these two programs the answer is positive.

Regards!

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've been running ZAP and KAV together for the last three years without problems.

Both apps have greatly expanded their protection capabilities since then, but KAV 6 (I haven't loaded 7 yet!) and ZAP 7 get along very nicely together on my system, with all protection features maxed out and set to full whack on both of them.

There are just two configurations you need:-

1) In ZAP's 'Program Control', select KAV's avp.exe and right click to bring up 'Options'; then check "enable privacy for this program'. This will ensure ZAP's Privacy section will operate through KAV's web filter.

2) In KAV's Trusted Zone, ensure that ZAP's updclient.exe ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\updclient.exe) is included as 'Trusted Application' with 'do not scan network traffic' selected. That will permit updates to occur.

That's all you need to do.

Incidently, both KAV and ZAP have been accused of slowing bootup times; well I've just done a reformat and on a clean fresh system, bootup is almost instantaneous with both ZAP and KAV together - however as soon as I start adding other security progs there is a slight slowdown (though not bad!) but you'd expect that.

8. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Thank U to ALL!!

Actually i'm using BD 10. But I 'm looking for an AV better than mine. KAV is great for spyware too, so may be I'll try this combo.

On my wife PC I installed ZA ISS 7. I think is a good suite, but for my PC I would like to install an AV much more settable.
    Avira Premium could be a great alternative. At the moment I'm testing F-PROT on other PC, it run fine. Dr-Web just tested, nice too.

I can't decide. I think that only ZA Pro could stay on my PC: only the AV can be changed.

Or ... KIS! This is the alternative.

Thank you to all.
    I have to test, test and ..... test.
    PS:
    to Escalader
    this is my current PC settings
    ZYXEL router (firewall + AV) - But I use my PC with a ADSL Modem too (so I need a strong Personall FWL for sure).
    ZA pro 7.0.337 (I'd been Beta Tester)
    BD AV 10
    EWIDO (on demand)
    Win XP Pro SP2

to TopperID, fax thank U for settings
    to 12fw, sasa843, and escalader thank U.

Best regards.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  9. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

tec505

The KIS and the Avira premium suites must be tried to be seen if you like them and they like the PC. But there should be no trouble with either one. Both are very good considerations. The KAV and the ZA Pro is a good combo- the OSFireWall and the ProActive Defense Module work fine together. The F-Prot and the ZA Pro is a good combination to be considered.

12fw

10. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I know KIS, but not tested on my machine. I know Avira Suite, but i don't like Fwl, i prefere ZA Pro. Avira Premium is good for AV at the moment.
    You are right i must try them to see if they like my PC.
    F-Prot: i like a lot this SW, but at the BD is little better, and not at KAV level.

M.

11. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

tec505

Using either the KAV 6 or the AntiVir Premium AV with the ZA Pro, make sure the main components have server rights for the Trusted Zone. That will fix any networking issue with either one. The KAV6 has the web scanner and uses port 1110 and the AntiVir does some extra activity with the localhost. The server right for the Trusted Zone will make either one happy.

F-Prot is not that bad as far as AVs go. It is light and very cheap for multiple PCs. Great for families. Even if you do not select the F-Prot as a final resident AV, they offer a free DOS scanner.

http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

Personally, I would choose either the KIS or the ZA Pro with the KAV 6. But the KAV 7 is expected to be released this month, so maybe the latest KAV and the ZA should be the last combo to try out. I understand the KIS 7 has some new improvements.

12fw

12. Escalader

To: sasa843:

You disagreed to soon!:D

I didn't provide OP with anything to argue about! I asked some questions of him so I could provide a proper answer. I can only assume that it is the questions that are a bother.:'(

Depending on the answers it may or may not be a "good" combo.

13. Escalader

Hi again Mike:

Thanks for your thanks.

Are you done with your question now? I had reasons to ask you the questions I did. The quick answers with no work or consideration of the user needs is not a good thing. So work and analysis is needed. Your needs aren't identical to mine and your OP was a very brief question needing expansion.

You have answered # 4, and a bit of # 3. But what about # 1, 2, and 5?

When asking is it a good combo there are 2 possible answer methods.
    1. Technical, like do they work okay together and
    2. Functional effectiveness to meet your needs.
    I take the 2nd path, even though it is harder. But if all you want to do is see if they work okay, then I'm of little extra help here.

If you answer those a bit I will do some work for you on your setup. But if you are firm now and need no more functional input just say so.

If you already know all the following I apologize for taking up space in your thread!

Like you I'm behind a router and also use BD 10. FYI, the other day I ran the KAV online scan (no conflict since it isn't installed) to see if BD10 missed anything. KAV found 0 so that was good. It doesn't mean I have no parasites just that these 2 AV's found none, there is a difference. What we need to do is prevent these parasites from invading the body PC! So that function called heuristics is very important. Better to prevent than cure!

These days the distinction between AV's and ASW's is blurring so most of the vendors are doing what for want of a better term dual scans with signatures for AV and ASW's. I also have an ASW (SS 5.3). Recently I was advised to remove ZA Pro in another thread but I need your input before saying more.

For ease of reference here are the questions again.

1. Do you want the best 3rd party tested Anti-Virus heuristic and on demand detection and removal performance?
    2. Are you concerned with FW privacy issues such as unsolicited call homes or sending packets outbound that you have asked NOT to happen?
    3. What other combo's have you considered? Have you visited the ZA user forum or KAV forum to get a sense of current user issues?
    5. What are your security concerns? Worries? do you use on line banking? do you surf on the wild side? Have you been suffering from parasites, spam what symptoms does your set up have?

14. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Hi Escalader.

I'm thinking to change Av 'cause i like to change, trying new sw. Also I would like to use an AV more powerful in ASW detection. IMHO BD is little light in ASW detection.

But about y questions:

Yes. - But I know that "winning team never change"; during last two years I've been using ZAP+BD. => no issues. no virus. Weekly I run an on line scan w/ KAV (like you). Also, actually, I know that BD BHave has proactive detection more powerful than KAV one (ver 6-7 AV-Comparatives);
    See Above.
    3. What other combo's have you considered? Have you visited the ZA user forum or KAV forum to get a sense of current user issues?

Avira Av+ZAP; KAV+ZAP; F-PROT+ZAP;; yes. I visited ZA / KAV forum.
    ZYXEL router (firewall + AV) - But I use my PC with a ADSL Modem too (so I need a strong Personall FWL for sure).
    ZA pro 7.0.337 (I'd been Beta Tester)
    BD AV 10
    EWIDO (on demand) - (I'm thinking to disinstall it).
    Win XP Pro SP2
    I use on line banking. Only using TM PcIllin i'd great Troj problems and Norton 2004. After that BD no more problems. SPW problms: only traking cookies, founded only w/ ZAP or Ewido. Never w/ BD.
    Normally I surf the web w/ FFox.

May be i could consider a ASPW streght? But not with resoure hog sw!!
    What I think about KAV (never used for long time) is more streght in ASPW protection.

Thanks.
    Mike

15. Escalader

Mike: Very good now I can help you.

I see you are very involved with ZA Pro as a beta tester you know way more than most ZA users on that basis alone. So I will not try to get you to follow my route and move to alternative FW's. I strongly suggest that you read the entire thread here on how to optimize ZA Pro and implement all the lock down rules and options indicated https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172579.

I have got a few sites for you to block as well as ZA calls home via hard coded logic that cannot be disabled except via FW blocks. Stem has made the tests on these call homes which release packets from your PC without your permission. Read the entire thread. When you want the ZA gathering sites to block PM me, and I'll give them to you along with other lock down advice that I have obtained independent of these forums. If ZA didn't do this activity I would have stayed with ZA Pro as I can add best of breed AS and ASW as they change.

FYI I have tried several FW's since I uninstalled ZA Pro. The first was the new PC Tools DeskTop + it was simple but it has issues setting applications level rules. It is in their Lab Beta still so I'll revisit it later. It is similar too or based on look n stop. I tried Webroot FW and dropped it almost immediatley as it made my system unstable.

Right now I'm learning in a second thread on optimizing CFW 2.4. Stem is helping us again:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=176866.

This FW works at a more detailed level than ZA Pro making me work harder to set it up and learn to make rules. But I've learned more. Like you I like to try new SW. The big factor for me is IT DOESN'T send unsolicited packets back to the mother ship. You can set application rules, Network and component rules. They have a new version in beta V3 which offers a HIPS capability.
    When it is out of beta I will try it.

Now Antivirus. The AV Comparatives show Nod 32 as the tool of choice. For me the main factors are rapid updates in the face of outbreaks and top of the line heuristics. As you said your self BD is stronger than KAV so moving to KAV for me is a step down there. You don't need to install KAV to do a scan with it so you could move to NOD 32 if you are dropping BD and keep using KAV on demand. The other alternative is AntiVir (free?) plus ZA Pro locked down. I've not tried that combo but you could. All you would do is uninstall BD and replace it with NOD 32 or Antivir. I like some of the BD scans like keyloggers and the memory scan.

Now AntiSpyware. The choice there for me is SS 5.3. It not only scans and gets rid of spys but it has 13 real time shields to prevent infections. You would need to turn off some ZA Pro's shields that overlap with SS. But that is a done deal. I have attached an image on those shield to give you some idea.
    I also scan on demand with some of the oldies but goodies Spybot and Adware. But they rarely find anything.

On line banking, please maximize the psw strength. Some allow 8 or 16 or even 32 position psw. Choose random characters via a tool like RoboForm or the psw generator in FF. Change it often!

If things continue in my case as they are:

I could end up with optimized CFW 3 with HIPS, Nod32 and SS 5.3 for active protection. But nothing SW wise should ever be cast in stone.

Hope this helps you. Don't forget to ask for the ZA blocking sites. I only wish they were not required.

Attached Files:

16. fax

fax Registered Member

@tec505

If you are concerned by ZA calling home, do not use ZA. If you start to block communication between ZA and ZA servers, it will start to misbehave and will not work correctly... as it has happen for the user trying to mess up with it...

ZA is simply not design to block itself... you need to trust you security tools and if you have any doubts that ZA is not protecting you as it should, you should not hesitate to remove and use another firewall. There are plenty of choices out there....

The user is engaged in a personal crusade against ZA that is hardly understandable. Stem could only confirm one attempt by ZA to call home at install (on his setup) not persistent calling home as the user have reported repeatedly on many Wilder thread...

Security paranoia sometime can be justified but most of the time just make your internet experience a nightmare...

Hope this helps...
    Fax

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

You could run ZASS as it includes its own version of KAV 6 with the firewall for just a couple of bucks. I am sure one could argue that KAV stand alone has this or that feature, but in the end it probably will not make much difference.

18. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

Thank U to all !! :D

I trust in ZoneLabs, and for that reason I can leave the first love (first Fwl, even if I tryed Sunbelt Kerio and Comodo).

Is for that reason I'm thinking about a special combo including ZA Pro.
    I like it. And is for that reason I installed on my wife PC ZASS. The only one reason for which I cannot install on my PC is related to the poor setting fields in AV section.

Best Regards.
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.