Kaspersky PRO 5 vs Gdata AVK 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rush_, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rush_

Rush_ Guest

Which one has better protection?

2. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

I have too say Kaspersky Personal 5.0, because I have never have used Gdata AVK 2005 before.

Regards,

Brandon

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Very even, use the one you like best after trying both. :)

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Good question, though I'd say GDATA AVK (which has the KAV and BitDefender engine) is better. After all, two engines are better than one. :D

5. Don Pelotas

If thats true, then why is three engines not better (F-Secure with Kav + two others and still not better than the real thing). :p :)

6. Firecat

I guess thats why we should not trust the old beliefs :D

7. Don Pelotas

Are you saying that i'm old. :mad: ........................................... ;) :D

8. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Kaspersky has always been among the top rated AV's for quite a while now so i will go with it any day any time.

9. budfox

budfox Registered Member

I use to use Kaspersky, but switched out since the version I was using did not do http scanning. You could go to eicar.org and actually download the test virus. Kas wouldnt catch it until you went to open the folder. The new beta version of Kaspersky has http scanning, but it doesnt seem to play nice with Outpost firewall.

For me AVK 2005 is the best choice since it uses Bit/Kas engines, and yes, scans http. Doesnt seem to be too bad on resources either.

10. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I'm trying avk2005 now, it's running fine: light about ressources (15000 k and 700 for the service), fully configurable, and efficient, I guess. The only problem with their trial is that there's no update - virus database: 07.02.2005 !! :blink: , better to use it for a very short time... What's surprising is that we can see the boxed Avk 2006 in the shops, when the Antiviruslab site only shows 2005; only the G-data site is showing the last release, but no trial available here.

the better between Avk and Kav, can't tell; but Avk may be running previous versions of KAV and BD engines, theres no information about that. Good point is that the scan stay fast, despite the dual engine. I already like this av :D

11. Firecat

It wouldn't matter because the older engines have the same signatures......and GDATA even has the new HIVE heuristics engine of BitDefender.

12. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

The result is what count, not the quantity of engines...:p

13. Firecat

Well, if it scores 1% or 2% below KAV in most tests and costs lesser, then its still as good as KAV, considering the price......value for money counts too :p:D

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

When it scores x% below KAV, its NOT as good as KAV:p

Fact is, the price is lesser then KAV.

You get indeed value for money, but I have a different approuch.

Maybe I have easy talking because the price isn't important at all to me, so I'm a lucky guy, I know, for a lot of people price IS really important and that they are thinking like you: "value for money" is understandable.

But when I have to make a devision, I prefer KAV, like I already explained: the price is no problem to me at all.:)

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Antiviruskit may be cheaper than Kav, but only 10 €, +/-12 $, and it depends which countries: the price is the same in Germany ( 49 € ), so I'm not sure the price argument is very important.

Did someone actually see some tests where Avk was behind Kav ?? o_O would be interrested in seeing that.

there's no clue about availability of the extended databases in Avk, even if G-Data tells about spyware protection: that would be great if they could provide more information on their site !

16. Don Pelotas

Kaspersky is 39.95 euros in germany. :)

17. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Oh, really :) : good, indeed, one more clue to set that the price argument is not important, about the choice between Avk and Kav.

18. Funny

Funny Guest

The quality is important, not the price.

Gdata Antivirus 2006 test in the German ComputerBild this week: very bad score, 5 on a scale 1-5.... (in German language: "mangelhaft").
    (1 is excellent, 5 is the opposite).

Yeah yeah, I already know the comments like: "ComputerBild is not a serious Computermagazine".

Fact is, it IS the most selled computermagazine in Germany.

19. Funny

Funny Guest

Addition:

ComputerBild 21-2005, 10-3-2005, page 80

20. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

When making comparisons, also consider this:

http://www.antiviruslab.com/e_news_detail.php?lang=gb&news=3532

Security Vulnerabilities Revealed in Kaspersky and BitDefender (05.10.2005)

The two manufacturers of the virus engines used by AVK are currently receiving a bad press. News broke yesterday of the Kaspersky virus scanner being used to take over computers and a similar problem with BitDefender has been reported today. AVK remains unaffected by these issues. .....

21. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Kaspersky has fixed this security vulnerability now.

22. nicM

nicM nico-nico

obviously, such a bad review could only be caused by a compatibility problem, and not about the performance or quality of the AV by itself (they were rated best AV by the same magazine for AVk 2005): here is it, seems there was a problem with firewalls, already beeing addressed :)

http://www.antiviruslab.com/d_news_detail.php?lang=de&news=3533

23. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Exactly. Something as important as antivirus, how can anyone squabble about a few dollars? Break it down to a cost per day...your computer is costing you more in electricity.

24. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you are talking about Outpost 3.0, then you need to disable all the features in the Attack Detection plugin Ethernet tab - KAV 2006 should then work OK.

25. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

The article is very, very pro Gdata and "coloured" in Gdata colours, and therefore not reliable.

Reality is different, not only a few customers were in trouble with AVK 2006, but a lot more.

BTW: not only the compatibility problems with firewalls was the cause of the bad rating in ComputerBild, there were other issues too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.