Kaspersky Internet Security Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TheIgster, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Im currently running Kaspersky AV along with PC Tools Firewall Plus. The two seem to run very well together and I was able to configure uTorrent within PC Tools Firewall Plus so that it does not interfere with downloads at all and it always has an excellent connection.

Now, with that being said, I have been considering Kaspersky Internet Security and getting rid of PC Tools Firewall Plus for mere simplicity because I very much like the performance of Kaspersky AV.

If you have experience using KIS and have previously used PC Tools Firewall Plus, I would love to hear some insight as to:

Is it worth the change?
    Is Kaspersky's firewall as good if not better than PC Tools?
    Extra drag on system or pretty much the same?
    Easy to configure KIS to allow uTorrent through or even needed (does it just work)?

Thanks for any help and or advice you can give.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

KIS has one of the best firewalls around, certainly among the "Internet Security" packages.

KIS automatically assigns "Trusted" status to uTorrent, allowing it to do what it needs without interference.

It runs very smooth and light for me. KIS 2010 was quite heavy on the system when it was released, but with the latest versions and hotfixes, it's light as a feather.

3. TheIgster

That's why I love this forum. Post something and get a response 9 minutes later. Thanks King!

Anyone else?

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I'm running KIS on xp pro. Its pretty smooth when on the web. The only problems I have is when its running a full scan. It slows down things a little bit. Also it had logged something as a trojan and I added it to the exclusions. It kept scanning the same file and didn't remember it was supposed to be excluded. Kinda annoying.

5. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

I don't really see a compelling reason to change to KIS if the existing combo works without issues.
    KIS firewall is easy to use and it doesn't create problems with programs (no issues here with utorrent). It might be difficult to adjust and figure out some settings if you want to customize it, but you'll get used to it.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Igster,
    Give it a try. If you don't like it go back to PCtools. I'm running KIS right now and I think I'm going back to my original setup. I don't like saferun in KIS. I like having the option of running geswall with OA and A-squared.

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

With KIS2010 I had issues getting uTorrent allowed to get a green check. I know for a fact it was the firewall in KIS because I dont have port forwarding setup with my router and I didnt have the router firewall on or Windows firewall active.

PCTools is a better firewall IMHO. The KIS suite was very laggy for me and bogged my system down during downloads and net browsing.

8. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

uTorrent really should get green right away, by default, if you don't have anything else conflicting. uTorrent is on Kasperskys white list and it automatically grants it all the priviliges it needs. It is allowed any network connections (and it's never failed to work here, out-of-the-box).

9. TheIgster

Thanks guys. I think I will stay with my current setup. It's configured and working well. I created a static IP and have PC Tools Firewall Plus configured properly with the required rules and uTorrent is always green.

Thanks for all the input!

10. reedz856

reedz856 Registered Member

I have previously used PCTools Firewall without any problems or slowdowns and unnecessary alerts. Now I'm using KIS 2010 and its also working very well without any system drag or irritating popups. You can't go wrong using either one but be sure only one AV is running on realtime to prevent any conflicts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.