Kaspersky Inspector (KAVI) stealth viruses?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Sep 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Hi everyone! Does anybody know what are so called "stealth viruses", that the "Kaspersky Inspector" module in KAV Personal Pro 4.5 Antivirus has found?

After my second scan with "KAVI" it had found one stealth virus in C:\Windows\Temp folder! Those infections are still clean with usual KAV and RAV scanning and DrWeb online scan.

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Stealth viruses refer back to some of the old MS DOS viruses. Today there are no real "stealth viruses" for Windows except of some proof-of -concept ones that never made it ITW.

Looks like a false positive to me. Best if you just empty your temp folder. If you have any doubts left you could also submit the suspicious files to Kaspersky Labs for analysis. :)

wizard

3. Firefighter

To Wizard from Firefighter!

Thanks a lot! I'll send that file to Kaspersky Lab to make sure about that.

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

My last question about that KAVI module in KAV Personal Pro 4.5!

Is that total hype in WinXP environment or does it have some special use and then what?

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

5. wizard

wizard Registered Member

For the moment 'stealth viruses' are no threat. They have been a serious threat in the past (good old MS DOS days) but under Windows this has been so far no real threat. So this KAVI feature should not be overestimated. :)

'Stealth viruses' might become a threat again in the future again but who knows.

wizard

6. xor

xor Guest

A stealth virus removes his code byself from infected files if he runs active in the memory.

Imagine this:

+-------------------+
    | INFECTED FILE | ---> Loads Virus Code into memory ---> removes virus code from file
    +-------------------+

This means if you start a filescan, you will not detect this virus in the file 'coz he relays in the memory and is in this time not present in the file :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.