Kaspersky cloud

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by steve1955, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

As anybody else got issues with the amount of info that Kaspersky labs want access to in order for you to use their version of "cloud" protection?

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Details on what is sent: http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2012/tech?qid=208284365
    Just a FYI for those not familiar with their policy.

As for whether I have issues with "amount of info" being sent- the same as with Panda, WSA, Norton or others: I don't really find it/them violating my privacy.

3. steve1955

Norton don't acquire as much info as Kaspersky want to have access to,they do need some but the amount of stuff they want access to seems rather excessive and pretty sure some of the stuff will not be anonymous,some downloaded programs will giver user info away,even if it is only email addys,if you read T&C s when signing up to the network they want access to far more than it says in your link

4. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

The T's and C's/Eula do state several more items in the list, however I think it's against forum policy to post quotes because of copyright.
    Taking a look at the T's and C's, even if the list does look extensive I don't see a real way to tie them back to me, as a user.
    Most of the information being sent is about services running, OS version and SP's, browser extension/plugins, and mainly reverse signatures/checksums of PE files and their executable parts that don't contain personal info, as with any cloud AV.

Disregarding any T's and C's/Eula statements (because they can write what they want there), it would be interesting to see actual Wireshark logs of AVs contacting Cloud servers, instead of going by T's and C's and "I think they do/don't" excuses.
    I remember this being debated in the past wrt AV Cloud privacy in general, but can't find the link.

5. steve1955

Yes I agree would be very interesting to see what info they are actually getting,not just Kaspersky all of them!:-its just I read Kaspersky T&Cs and phoned Kaspersky UK with my concerns and wasn't really enamoured with the response I received,was kind of "we need all this info so take it or leave it" type response

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This. I don't suspect them of being any worse than any other vendor. I am sure there are things on your machine that are a far greater privacy risk. Like any browser you have installed.

7. fax

fax Registered Member

If you start not trusting or feeling uncomfortable about a security product or its functions then better simply to stay away from it. Just don't fall into the temptation of starting turning OFF here and there, you will end up will less security and sub optimal setup. :isay:

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If there is that much info being uploaded, magnify that by the number of users/customers and I wouldn't have thought it was humanly possible to sift through that much detail anyway.

9. steve1955

the things that store/collate data aren't human,they are computers

10. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Yes, but a human [I hope!] will look at that data at some point.

What I'm trying to say is that single user info once uploaded will be lost amongst the hundreds, thousands of other similar detail. I suppose they will probably be able to find specific info by drilling it down if they have to.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.