kaspersky and opera

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chrcol, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

when browsing with IE I get a kaspersky icon flashing in the bottom part of window and the systray icon flashes to indicate its checking, but when browsing with opera this doesnt happen, is their no real time protection for opera browsing?

and before anyone says only IE needs it because that what all the kiddies target, a full scan yesterday found a virus in my old backed up opera cache folder, sometype of javascript based trojan. I have numerous tools that add a lot of protection to IE spybot/spywareblaster etc. but nothing seems to protect opera so I would like to think kaspersky does it.

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Form the Kaspersky knowledge base: http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=169552521

Opera and Firefox use their own script library. All files written to disk will be checked by the real-time file scanner. Files in Opera cache can not be executed, so no need to worry. :)

3. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

ok thanks, so this begs another question, if I have real time file scanner enabled does this make real time port 80 scanning redundant?

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

WebAV (in KAV / KIS 6) scans data before it is processed by the browser. This means an additional layer of security. If it doesn't slow down browsing, I would leave it at default. :)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

But the web scanning is totally unnecessary! In most cases it causes gigantic slow downs in web browsing. I would never use it (tried it and my internet connection went from 4800kbps to 2000kbps! NOD32 has a stupid web scanner also and it too crippled my internet connection. You don't need it! Let the real time scanner (what Kaspersky calls file (dumb name) scanner do its proper work. It will catch anything before executed. There is absolutely no need for the web scanner. The web scanner is JUST A GIMMICK TO GET YOU TO BUY. Same with the email scanner. That is not needed either. Any sane user always reads all mail in plain text and downloads attachments to disk and scans with the on demand virus scanner before opening. So, no need for the email scanner. Besides, almost ISPs these days scan all incoming and outgoing mail so you don't need to. If you use Outlook Express, Microsoft warns to NEVER use an email virus scanner. These venders seem incapable of keeping it simple and just giving us an outstanding real time scanner and on demand scanner...but instead think no one will buy unless they glitz it all up with a bunch of unnecessary junk!

6. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

There is a need for the web scanner which is why most AV companies are going to it. It keeps malware off your computer in the first place, instead of downloading it and letting the real time scanner pick it up. Why waste the time to d/l malware. Yes, most malware is small and the bandwidth is minimal, but it is a waste of time none the less. When there are conflicts such as in your case, it should be disabled. Additionally some makers give their web scanners more capabilities than their real time scanners, ie. IMON in NOD scans compressed files where as AMON doesn't until they are executed and decompressed.

It also saves the time in the method you suggest, downloading an attachment and then scanning it with the on demand scanner, which also goes against your "Let the real time scanner do it's proper job" theory that you suggest for http traffic. As for relying on your ISP to scan email, having different products scan something increases the chance that any thing malicious would be caught. Besides the ISP scanning your email is not a waste of your system resources, but I would not totally rely on their choice of AV. Hotmail recently switched to using Trend I believe, so I would ensure that all hotmail is scanned by something else as well.

7. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I would think their is a need for it, what happens if a virus is integrated into a web page ran by the browser out of memory so no file on disk to scan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.