Karen's Replicator v3.5.12

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ronjor, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Karenware

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Typos? Poor QA control. ;) :rolleyes:

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As much as i always enjoyed many of Karen's releases stemming all the way back to when everyone was only on Windows 98/Me, i'm still trying to decide how useful it might be since i already make regular backups either with my imaging app or FD-ISR (Genuine!) to archives.

If anyone has a suggestion i'm all eyes LoL

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I have two partitions :
    1. System Partition = Windows + Applications
    2. Data Partition = documents, spreadsheets, videos, emails, email-address-books, ... anything I can't afford to lose.

I don't backup my actual system anymore, not even when it changed.
    Instead of that I restore-update-backup my clean system images in order to avoid infected images, because the classical backup of actual system sucks.

So what is left is my data partition : each day I backup my data partition with Karen's Replicator, but ONLY the changes, not a full backup, which is much faster than a full backup with ShadowProtect and I don't like incremental backups of ShadowProtect.

Karen's Replicator has only two configured jobs, called :
    1. Data Backup, which I run daily.
    2. Data Restore, which I ran 2 times since September 2007, one of them was a test.

That's it. I reduced my daily backup to the absolute minimum to save time and do it better and safer than in the past.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Feedback from experience is always helpful.

I suppose since i deal with a HUGE amount of *.FLV video files from time to time off You Tube that Karen's might serve to promote the backup of these files to my other alternate partition. It's impossible with my current internet speed to accumalate many at one time so theres a chance Karen's Replicator could perform *jobs with near immediate backups.

The logical approach i assume then would be to install and run it thru some paces/jobs. (Just D/L'd it) latest version from April.

Thanks for the input = motivation!

6. ErikAlbert

I burn all my video files, mainly movies and documentaries, on DVD instead of keeping them on my harddisk.
    Graphical files take too much space, once your HDD is full, you need another HDD and another HDD, and so on. DVD's are unlimited and a solution for a very long time.

7. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I have an older version of Karenware - works fine.

If I want to update to current version, do I download and run new version or should I uninstall older one first?

8. ErikAlbert

I always install a new version over the old version. I never had a problem with that and you can keep your settings and jobs without doing anything.
    Of course I have screenshots, printed on paper, of each job, in case something goes wrong and I have images and archives to rollback to a previous state.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I could never do that exclusively, especially to save movies, clips, and/or music because PLASTIC deteriorates much too quickly IMO and is more subject to temperature inversions leading to corruptions, and is why i set aside a single HARD DRIVE, format it with NTFS, and just use it only as a Secondary known as Slave in PC lingo. There i keep all my movies, graphics on metal disk because it will far exceed in preserving then plastic ever could.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i may try this application.
    i could do with a file backup program.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Does anyone know if Karen's Replicator requires Windows Task Scheduler to be enabled or not?

Maybe she has her own scheduler built into this app?

12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I would like to use KR but it messed up the "past days data was used" option in Ultimate defrag. I sent an e-mail asking if there was anyway to use KR without changing file dates but never got any reply. I normally just image my data drives but it would be good to be able to do straight copies.

13. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I really like to use KR but sadly it doesn't support FTP(ES) backup. I just got 50Gb backuped and secured ftp space and I like to use it. Definetily it's not for all of my files. So my choice is Cobian Backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.