K7 Computing-what is this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, I have uninstalled it now as overall the English-version still has a few bugs to iron out; particularly in the Updater.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am TRULY amazed. A K7 support technician (a fellow name Madhu) called me at my home in Hawaii to try & fix the update problem. I had uninstalled K7 because I couldn't update it. Madhu asked me re-install, and said he would call back in 20 minutes. I re-installed & he called back, right on the dot at 20 minutes.

Madhu then asked me to keep running K7 for a few days, in order to repeatedly test its updater. He also asked me to download a certain diagnostic program & said he will call back in 2 days to see if the issue persists.

The 2 phone calls, India to Hawaii, must have cost K7 more than the measly $16 I paid them for a license. I am VERY favorably impressed by K7's support. They have answered every message priomptly, and now this -- 2 phone calls in an effort to fix the issue.

I'll keep you all posted. I hope they can find & fix the problem. That kind of effort deserves to succeed. :thumb:

3. Blackcat

Definitely :thumb: :thumb:

4. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

VERY impressive support indeed!!:thumb:
    Looking forward to see/hear the results. :)

Cheers

5. Blackcat

The Updater failure seen by Bellgamin and myself after a few days of use may be due to the use of Registry Cleaners.

Bellgamin, via a pm, found out that registry cleaning removed this entry;

HKLM Software\K7Computing\K7TotalSecurity\CommonInfo\Updates

I had used RegSupreme Pro during my initial install of K7 and confirmed that this key had also been removed hence the broken updater.

We have both added this key to the ignore list of our Registry Cleaners and time will tell whether the K7 Updater remains working as it should.

Overall, this reinforces the view that care needs to be taken with cleaning the registry.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

K7 issued a signature update today (Sunday). My K7AV automatically downloaded the new signatures without incident. It seems that the inadvertent registry erasure was indeed the culprit.

Ohhh those registry cleaners.:argh:

If you're interested in trying K7, you still might want to wait a couple of days to see if there are any more issues. I will post back in a few days, one way or the other.

As of NOW, K7's $16 bargain antivirus is running very smoothly, & is updating quite okay. It's incredibly light on my system, and its Tech Support is splendid!

A truly valiant little outfit!

Attached Files:

• k7.jpg
      k7.jpg
      File size:
      4.7 KB
      Views:
  7. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Sounds good but what about it's actual performance in detecting malware? Any tests on K7?

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

found this test

Attached Files:

9. smallav

smallav Registered Member

10. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

11. jfbooth

jfbooth Registered Member

Just uninstalled trial version. I installed it on a clean machine, .. first thing after doing a complete restore from OEM CD's and updates from Microsoft. K7 booted with a notice that a Dell Support file was trying to do something (Don't even remember now) with an option to Always Allow. Click that and one more similar files gets tagged, ... click Always Allow and proceeded with first scan. Found one of my Garmin GPS files as being infected (just finished installing that from Garmin OEM DVD). Told it to ignore that and it did. Every time I booted, had to Allow those 2 dell files. I could mark/select the notifications (those two on boot) but could not copy to clip board. Used AnalogX "capture" to capture a picture of the window and sent 'em to K7 tech support mentioning the Garmin false/positive. Got an almost immediate reply with an offer for a "tech" to call me at home. Impressed. She called (apparently from India) and with remote access, she browsed around my machine for about 3 hours, ... looking at Services, Registry, Task Manager, ... it got amusing watching her actually. She changed NOTHING,... I was watchin. She then took a file xfer of a copy of the Garmin file as well as the two Dell Support files in question, and said she would call me back after the weekend. Never did. Never heard from 'em again, and I emailed 'em about the no phone call. No reply. Nothing. Goin now for Avast Home ver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.