K-meleon upgrade to version 1.12

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Upgraded K-meleon 1.12 makes following main changes...
    * Update to latest mozilla code 1.8.1.6
    * Various bug fixes

Download from HERE

I installed it on top of previous version. It went okay. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2007
  2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, does this browser or any other (besides IE) require a reboot to install? I was wanting to try a few while using the protection of either Returnil or PS. Thanks, ipeace

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should be good to go... I don't think any of them (Firefox, K-Meleon, Opera) require a reboot.... K-Meleon is great, well worth the install...

4. innerpeace

Thank you Kerodo. It's been a long time since installing FF that I couldn't remember if it required a reboot or not.

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Thanx for the heads-up Bellgamin.
    Upgrade was quick/painless.
    Caveat for those interested: This is an upgrade only. You must have Version 1.1 installed before using this updater.
    Alternate DL site: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/download.php

6. innerpeace

Hi, I'm trying this in shadow mode and like it so far. I am wondering if there is a way to right-click on one of my bookmarks to open it in a new layer? Also, is there a way to individually get rid of or swap some of the toolbar icons such as the history, email and print. I know that I can do this with FF in view-toolbar-customize. No hurry as I'll be trying this over many nights and will be seeing if I can get NoScript and ABP running.

Here's a pic of what I want to achieve. Thank you, innerpeace

Attached Files:

7. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Hi Innerpeace
    I don't believe so. I just click icon to open a new layer, then open bookmarks folder.
    Toolbars can be easily moved/relocated, sized by dragging the handles.
    (Tip: make sure you "lock" toolbars when you get everything situated the way you like to prevent arbitrary/accidental changes.)
    View/Toolbars to hide or display toolbars you want (or don't want).
    And DO check out the Privacy Toolbar. Very cool and I believe unique to K-mel.
    However, there is no GUI to customize individual toolbars. Editing of buttons' layouts is done through Edit/Configuration/Toolbars (toolbar.cfg file).
    My personal pref here:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  8. innerpeace

Thanks Bob D, I really like the right-click bookmarks feature. I did however get everything crammed into one bar at the top, but the url was small like in your pic. I guess there may be a way to get rid of a couple of the icons I don't use in the config. I'm too picky and set in my ways :p . As you can tell by my pic, I'm a minimalist.

I'm also wondering if Spyware Blasters tracking cookies list can be transfered to K-meleon? And can CCleaner cleanup after a session or does this browsers features take care of this?

Thanks again, innerpeace

9. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

By default, CCleaner only addresses IE, but is configurable to include cookie folders and stuff elsewhere.
    (Haven't explored it much, as I usually run K-mel sandboxed, so everything goes away at session's end.)
    Hence the beauty of the Privacy Toolbar.
    You can instantly see the status of (and change) cookie acceptance.
    As well as clear the cache, all cookies, etc.
    (There are some site's cookies which I prefer to keep, so I avoid that button.)

Cheers

10. innerpeace

Hi Bob D, I'll have a look at the privacy toolbar. I think I may just go ahead and install K-mel because I want to take a good look at it. It seems to run lighter than FF. My isp is currently having problems so I will wait until it gets straightened out so I can evaluate it fairly.

Thank you, ipeace

11. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Hi ipeace
    I suggest giving it a try.
    You may (or may not) like it, as it is mostly substance over style.
    It is lacking most all of the useful extensions FF offers, but these extensions have added bloat, and many have been left feeling that FF has strayed from it's humble original minimalistic origins.
    K-Mel (aka: the little green lizard) is not for everyone, but it has a loyal following.
    Do check out their forum (to see feedback positive and negative):http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/forum/

Regards

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Where can i check if the upgrade worked?

13. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Go Help, About K-Meleon - should show 1.12

SKA

14. GES/POR

Thanks, trua that but y whenever i start kmeleon the Layers: kmeleon 1.1 and the page says welcome to kmeleon 1.1?

15. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I suspect because v1.1 is the core build.
    Primary change of the 1.1.2 update involves the Mozilla/Gecko 1.8.1.6/20070727 update.
    As long as Help/About indicates K-Meleon 1.1.2 all is fine.

16. GES/POR

Okidoki but does the startpage and layers say the same for you guys? Just to make sure. Thanks.

17. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Can you pls explain. Startpage (homepage) is user defined (as with all browsers).
    I'm sorry but I don't understand your layers query.

Cheers

18. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

19. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Bob D alt. site worked like a charm. Thanks Bellgamin but your link gave me a program that my system did not like. :doubt: no problems just would not load the update.

20. bellgamin

I used a betafiles link because the one Bob D suggested can be difficult to navigate through.

At the time I started this thread, 1.1.2 was the latest stable K-mel, & still is. However, someone recently changed the betafiles-listed version to K-mel 1.5 Alpha 1 Update 2. NOT stable. NOT beta. NOT recommended for installing on ANYone's working computer!

I think they used EXCEEDINGLY poor judgment in posting a very buggy Alpha version to betanews for public trial.:mad:

Use THIS SourceForge link for the latest stable version which is still 1.1.2.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  21. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Just a heads-up.
    Sourceforge link is for latest ver 1.1.2, containing Gecko 1.8.1.6 (not latest 1.8.1.8 ).
    Mozilla code update is recommended (available in K-Mel forum link above, (or elsewhere))
    Very true, but that is one of the inherent quirks of K-Mel evolution, in that there is no real unified core development path.

Cheers

22. bellgamin

Well, I didn't want to get into this but the K-mel forum's link goes to Bruns' update, & he is NOT on the *official* K-mel team at SourceForge. The official team consists (AFAIK) of Dorian and kko + Brian Thompson + Everling. AFAIK Bruns is a friendly hobbiest who likes to fool around with K-Mel from time to time. He may be quite competent but, AFAIK, he isn't a member of the official team, nor has he been.

Since K-mel is open-source coded, there are LOTS of unofficial versions of K-mel floating around. Some are good. Some are... um, not good.

The official versions of K-mel are at sourceforge links (such as the one I gave) or Dorian's. Bug reports & grumbles from folks who are unknowingly running UNofficial versions tend to frustrate the responsible proponents, who do not issue official updates until after thorough testing. Those proponents have at times become so frustrated by *too many hobbiests adding to the soup* that they ceased support of K-mel. Some of them returned after much coaxing. Some (including the man who invented K-mel) have never returned.

I used to give betafiles links but it seems that those links have also been taken over by hobbiests rather than official proponents. They are now offering an alpha version at betafiles, which is an absolutely terrible thing to do to unsuspecting people.

Hereafter I use & recommend official versions only, from Sourceforge links only.

Use other-than-Sourceforge links at your own... um, <initiative>.

23. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Agreed & understood.
    His contribution is merely a GRE update for K-Mel.
    (Guenter even questions the necessity of latest GRE)
    Which is rather confusing to K-Mel newbs when trying to figure out what the heck the CCF, NX & K-Ninja flavors are.
    Getting all the K_Mel developers on the same page is like trying to herd kittens.
    Prudent advice if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

24. bellgamin

Thanks Bob. K-mel is fortunate that you are one of its supporters.

By the way, Guenter is one of my favorite people on this planet -- or even in this galaxy. I've never seen what he looks like, but from his personality I imagine him resembling bit-part movie actor S. Z. "Cuddles" Sakall -- whom you are probably much too young to know who I'm referring to... so check HERE.

Shaloha... bellgamin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.