Just recieved this email

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by steve161, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

This is from my opera mail. I know the TOS regarding emails, so I deleted all names. If this still violates policy, my apologies.

PLease For Urgent
    Abidjan Cote d' Ivoire
    Wes Africa.
    Hello Dear One

Respectful Greetings and How are you today,I am (deleted), the only daughter of Chief (deleted).
    I would like you to permit me to apply through this medium for your co-operation and to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint relationship and business with you in your country. I have a substantial capital I honourably Inherited from my late father late Chief (deleted). who was minister of Interior and deal in Cocao and coffee platation and share from family Gold, diamond Minining site.The Epmigo rebels killed Him recently in poltical crisis in our country that have resulted to war since this past two years. I intend to invest this fund in profitable areas in your country into a very lucratives business venture of which you are to advise and execute the said venture over there for the mutual benefits of both of us .
    Most especially is for you to help me come over to your base if possible for You be able co-operate with me to become my business partner in your country and create ideas on how money will be invested, properly managed and the type of investment after the money is transferred to your custody with your assistance. I inherited this sum from my late father whom the rebels killed because he was not supporting their selfish intrest to topple the president Gbagbo the present president. Meanwhile, on indication of your willingness to handle this transaction sincerely by protecting my Interests and upon your acceptance of this proposal.
    I would furnish you with the full detailed information, procedure, amount involve is below and we shall mutually agree on your percentage interest or share holding for helping me to secure the release of the deposit and investing the fund into a lucratives profitable venture in your care.It is The sum of Nine Million Five Hundred Thousand $9.500.000USD I shall be glad to reserve this respect and opportunity for you, if you so desire, but do urge you to give the matter your immediate attention it deserves.I want you to be rest assured that everything is in order and legitimate it was due to the political crisis in our country that have resulted to war which cause everybody to find a way to get out the country, that make's me to use this medium to request for your assistance hoping that you will not let me down.
    This fund is legitimately acquired by my late father from sales of cocoa and coffee and diamond dealings.Looking forward to your prompt response for more details.

Faithfully
    (deleted)

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Typical Nigerian/ 419 scam. Unfortunately, thousands still fall for this and lose thousands, if not millions, of dollars every year. I still get this crap once in a while. I just mark it as spam.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Your're not falling for this crap are you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I get it very often! It even escapes from spam box of web mail many times. Most are from Nigeria I think!

5. steve161

LOL, no. While I have my moments, I am not completely stupid.

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Way back when, PhoneBusters (joint RCMP-OPP operation) had a special group set up for this Nigerian junk. Mainly because the North American side of the operation seemed to be "headquartered" in Toronto, Ont., where they made a number of arrests.

Back then, they wanted a copy of any such email forwarded to them for follow-up. These days they say don't bother, just ignore and delete, unless:
    (a) it seems to be a totally new tactic, or
    (b) you were foolish enough to reply in any manner.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Send them some money. They fight for freedom and yachts.
    Mrk

8. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Really, that many ?

If so, that's terrible :mad:

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Email-based scams give good profits.

10. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

It sounds legit to me. Go for it. Let us know how you make out.

11. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Oh ya Old Monk...I seen a report on it but forget what news program it was....5th Estate (Canada) I think..... I forget the exact statistics but it was an eye opener. Especially the amount of Seniors they rope in.

12. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

....and that just makes it worse :(

13. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

this from "Inspector Brian Hay, from the Queensland Police Service Fraud and Corporate Crime Group" in 2006.
    "The long-running internet-based rort has netted more than $7 million from Queenslanders alone, and the loss Australia-wide is likely to be far higher, police say.
    Among those being duped are financial advisers, lawyers and university professors, and one person had put $2.2 million into the hands of scammers over the past two years."

the rest of it here
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/rich-pickings-for-con-artists/2006/02/02/1138590592345.html

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Benny Bronx

The names you deleted are about as real as "deleted" is. You might wander over to Scamorama. It is educational as well as good for a laugh.

People that fall for this have to have a greedy streak, but it turns out the criminals are actually stupider then the victims.

Pete

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Not that I would fall for something like this, but My copy of Mailwasher Pro has never failed to mark crap like this as SPAM when it shows up on my incoming.
    http://www.mailwasher.net/index.php :cool:

16. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

I think you've nailed it Pete, a good con man knows the larger the bait the bigger, and more, fish he will catch. The mind boggles when you read that among the catch are financial advisers, lawyers and university professors, but then it's said the easiest person to sell a dodgy car to is a used car salesman. It's amazing how people's scepticism wanes the more incredible [more $$$] the con becomes.

.......... Of course you just never know, maybe I'll be the lucky one, some of it must be true you sceptics don't believe anything, maybe my emails aren't spam and if I follow the instructions I'll end up a squillionaire with the biggest penis in the known universe :D

remember the words of P.T.Barnum - "There's a sucker born every minute"

17. steve161

LOL. I know that, but I was erring on the side of caution regarding Wilder's policy. What would be even funnier is if there was actually a Chief Deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.