Just how protected are you?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by James314, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James314

James314 Guest

I downloaded PreView (PivX) and I acheived a score of 94%; I would have got 100% if i had service pack 2 installed (I still refuse to d/l the little S**t). It would be interesting to know how everyone performs, I bet some people get a nasty shock, here is the link - http://www.pivx.com/preview/

Once again, a big thanks to Notok, your website is a great security resource!

J.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I downloaded Preview too and had a score of 0% :'(
    I would have got 100% if I had winXP SP2 in stead of win2000proSP4. :D

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I took the test and it gave me a 69%.

I don't buy that. I went through and looked for the supposid "Patches" i was missing. These patches are not available to me through Windows update. I have everything installed from the WU site.

Plus, anytime you click on "Show me more info", you just get directed to a "Buy my product" site.

Don't think so...

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

PreView is still in beta, so sometimes it does mis-report patches and such. SP2 is a big help, though.. anyone that doesn't have it may want to reconsider, as most of the vendors affected by SP2 have put out patches and the bugs have been worked out. I've not had any problems with it.

Anyway, if PreView is misreporting patches and such on your system, report it! :)

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Tried it, but it wouldn't complete the firewall analysis...just kept searching as far as I could tell...so can't tell what my final score would have been.

However, I have a few problems with the results. I read the descriptions of a number of the trojans that supposedly could have infected my system...PreView doesn't seem to have recognised Wormguard in my configuration (would very likely stop most of the email worms listed), and the vast number of trojans listed as my system being vulnerable to relate to active-X exploits, which is turned off in my computer (except for trusted zone) and doublechecked by Online Armor.... then the windows updates (I last checked about 2 weeks ago) listed 5-7 vulnerabilities (and I don't think 5 have been found in 2 weeks).

Also seems likely that PreView can't calculate a security score for ShadowUser.

Anyway, it's gone now...installed under shadowmode :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  6. James314

James314 Guest

Notok - you say that you recommend installing service pack 2, but why? If you have hardened your sysem (secureIT, harden IT, samurai, preempt) and have a strong array of av/at/as etc, why is it necessary? I always manually update windows also and so I have all the latest secuirty patches. To me all SP2 has to offer is a firewall but that is useless for me as i use outpost.

If SP2 does something else i would like to know, d/l SP2 would be justified in my eyes if a big security hole was in my OS that i did'nt know about. Otherwise SP2 seems like bloatware that it liable to cause problems no matter how much vendors/microsoft promise issues have been fixed; I know people who still encounter problems!

Lastly, I am worred that SP2 will open up closed services that I have spent a very long time closing down (Black Viper etc).

J.

7. James314

James314 Guest

anyone care to comment?

thanks,

J.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think that by now theres very little reason not to get sp2, most every program has had their sp2 bugs worked out. as for teh firewall u can just disable it, same goes for the security center. and the services? just retweak them. its not very hard and theres various programs (like teh ones u mentioned using). sp2 also offers hardware DEP for compatible processors. and for me personally, autopatcher xp requires sp2.

9. James314

James314 Guest

yes, but what does it do in the way of security that sp1 with all new patches etc will do?

I only care about possible security benefits and so far i cannot see any aside from newbies who do not know what a firewall is.

J.

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Why not use the enhanced (freeware) Belarc Advisor downloadable from:
    http://www.belarc.com

It includes a security check of your system that is straight from NSA - yes, that agency!

Just click on the CIS Benchmark Score to get the 2nd page which rates your security settings.

-- Tom

11. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I concur. :D :D :D

Cheers, TAS

12. toploader

toploader Registered Member

cute program :D but CIS doesn't work with XP Home - only Pro

13. James314

James314 Guest

WOW. Thats an in depth analysis, a little OTT, e.g. logon banners - hardly something for the home user to worry about. Still, its a good guide.

thanks all,

J.

14. WSFuser

i tried the belarc advisor and i passed the Virus Protection and Microsoft Security Update checks but i only got a 3.96 out of 10 for the CIS Benchmark score. honestly i dont like what it considers secure, there are possibly a hundred or so insecurities it found. the main cateogries are:

Service Packs and Hotfixes
    Account and Audit Policies
    Security Settings
    Available Services and Other Requirements

15. fimmwolf

fimmwolf Registered Member

This program sucks.

It says I need OS hardening, my Belarc Advisor score is 8.34.......could be higher, i know.

It also thinks my anti-virus doesn't exist, though it clearly lists kaspersky as one of the suggested AV programs............ hmmmm.

Finally, according to the test, my firewall (looknstop) is Grade A when individual test is performed.

But it then spits out a summary html page that claims I dont have a software firewall installed either.

yeah, ok, I think I've seen enough.

[action] un-installs [end action]

update Belarc score is 9.37 :eek: :D

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  16. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Why is my AdAware going nuts when I try to run this, telling me that it is Malware??

17. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

It`s not malware it does set off a few warnings but it`s worth the dowload.

18. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

So I should just allow the application when it alerts. Or should I turn off the realtime scanning of my AV/AS.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  19. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran Belarc Advisor too :

CIS Benchmark Score : 5.00 of 10
    Virus Protection... : unknown
    MS Security Updates : up-to-date

Of course Belarc doesn't know anything about my discipline on the internet, which is 50% of my security.
    So I deserve 10.00 of 10.

Unknown Virus Protection ? I have AVG Free on my computer, this must be a bug in Belarc or Belarc doesn't like freewares.

I didn't see Microsoft on Belarc's list of customers and that doesn't surprise me :D

20. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Heheheh...Erik, 50% of 50% is 75% :D

21. passing thru

passing thru Guest

Huh? 0.5*0.5 = 0.25

22. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

He got 5/10 for his score, or 50%...that leaves 50%

..... so 50% discipline is applied to remaining 50% = 25%

Total = 75%

Of course the wording of my original post was ambiguous :p

23. WSFuser

if belarc gave him a rating of 50% secure and 50% of his security is common sense, shouldnt common sense only be 25 percent of 100% security?. or if the belarc score doesnt include common sense then its 50 percent plus the 50 percent of common sense equals 100 percent then, right? ah, whatever, math has never been my favorite subject.

24. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Heheh, never thought this'd turn to maths :)

The answer is correct...not certain about the reasoning :)

Haven't tried it...but very unlikely..after all, how can you give an accurate measure of common sense <which is subjective>

Not quite..

-50% common sense is applied to the 100% <which is what you said in the first quote> which leaves 50% unsecured by common sense
    -the 50% security rating is also applied to the 100% <same way the common sense is applied>...which leaves 50% unsecured by the security rating

Because they are both applied over the 100%, there HAS to be overlap...ie some things prevent by Common Sense, would also have been prevented by the Security Rating.

In this case, because Common Sense is 50% of security, it is also 50% of whatever the Security Rating is...and visaversa, because the Security Rating is 50% of security, it is also 50% of whatever the Common Sense is...

CS=Common Sense
    SR=Security Rating
    NP=Not prevented

[------------------------100% Secure------------------------------------]
    [-----------50%CS prevented-----][-----50%CS not prevented------------]
    [--25% SR NP--][-----------50%SR Prevented-------------][--25% SR NP-]
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''[---25%overlap---]
    [--------------75% Secure------------------------------- ][---25% NP---]

Damned that's hard to explain *puppy*

edit : had to use the '''''''''''''''''' to format properly

25. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Tried to exe Pivx through sandboxie.Couldn't access windows installer so i'll take that as a 110% score. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.