Joe and Ted, Baseball icons.

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by snowbound, May 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

2 records that will never be broken IMHO,

Joe DiMaggios incredible 56 game hitting streak that incidently started on this day in 1941 and lasted till july 16 of that same year. :eek:

I think Pete Rose is the only one who ever came close at 44 games.

And 2, also in 1941, Ted Williams finished up an amazing season with a .406 batting average. :eek:

To my knowledge George Brett came the closest at .390 in 1980.

I wasn't around then but 1941 surely was one of baseball's magical seasons. :cool:

"Joltin' Joe" and "The Splendid Splinter". 2 of the likes we will surely never see again...

snowbound

2. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i don't think the .406 batting average is a record, but ted williams is last person to hit over .400 in a single season. 1941 would have been a great season to watch tho! ted williams is one of my favorites of all time. i got an autographed plaque of him that i will never get rid of. you know there's no steroid controversy surronding those two accomplishments! :D

3. snowbound

Yes u are right Intox, as what i meant to say in his case, "the last man to hit .400" too much coffee this morning... :D ;) :D

Actually in the early 1900's Ty Cobb, argueably the best baseball player of all time, of the Detroit Tigers hit .400 in 3 seasons. Back in the early days, the pitcher that started the game, ended the game, no matter how bad so was a little easier to accomplish this at that time. Still an astonishing feat. :cool:

Yes, hang on to that plaque, as it is something to treasure and pass on to the next generation. :D

snowbound

4. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

complete games, that's a rarity you don't see today! :p on the other hand, i guess pitchers careers are lasting longer now. just look at clemens!

5. snowbound

Yeah, remembering him in the 1986 World Series seems like an awful long time ago. :eek:

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.