Jdbgmgr hoax back w/ a Bugbear twist

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by discogail, Oct 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. discogail

discogail Security Expert

THE HOAX IS an old trick, a mass e-mail which warns recipients that there’s a virus on their machine called Jdbgmgr.exe. The file is a legitimate system file needed to run Java programs, and it’s normally displayed with a bear icon.
    But the e-mail instructs recipients to find the file and delete it immediately.
    The hoax is now more convincing, because recipients associate the bear icon with the Bugbear virus, according to Craig Schmugar, a virus research engineer for Network Associates Inc.
    “The confusion is coming in part because of the virus name, and because the icon in question is a teddy bear. And the hoax has been tweaked to reference this new virus,” Schmugar said.

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

discogail, that's really interesting: do you have the link to the article from which you quoted here? I didn't see it in your post; and I'd like to read the entire article if I may ... thanks. Funny, I'm active at dslreports, and there must have been about twenty threads there, over the past year, concerning this hoax. It seems some people never give up trying to fool others. :D

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Randy_Bell,

I don't know where discogail found it, but check this on out: http://www.vet.com.au/html/zoo/local/zoo_descriptions/jdbgmgrexe_hoax.htm

Regards,

Pieter

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

5. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Thanks Pieter!! I noticed the following interesting comment in your article:
    I didn't know that the JDBGMGR.EXE file was also being used to propagate Magistr -- that's new to me. I was only aware of the hoax. In the case of the file infected with Magistr, I no longer regard that as a hoax, but a real virus infection.

Warmly, Ran

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.