Javascript Removed now need it back!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Escalader, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Javascript Removed
    For the last 2 months I have been running my Windows 7 64 bit Ulitimate Notebook without javascript installed on my setup. I wanted to see which applications if any really needed it.

Today I found one in my OLB site for investment site watch lists. These are I suspect linking to web sites or pages that do need it.

My question is how/where do I find and download a clean secure compatible version.

This may seem obvious and I applogize for that but java has had a checkered career in my opinion.

I'm open to any comments or advice.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Java and Javascript are separate.

4. Escalader

Thank you for replying.

What the OLB wanted was javascript. I think that since a message down near the task bar when it failed to work was javascript(void).

So what is your recommendation?

I don't except to be developing applications in java myself but do need to use functionality on certain sites that want javascript.

If I'm using the wrong words that display my knowledge gaps that is my fault.:oops:

5. Escalader

6. ABee

ABee Registered Member

'Java' from Oracle/Sun-Java is an installable stand-alone application. A program.
    Most websites don't require it in any way, though some do.

'Javascript' is a built-in browser functionality for all browsers, and having it enabled is often required in order to fully interact with any website.
    Javascript can't be installed or uninstalled, it can only be turned on and off, e.g. with the NoScript extension for Firefox.
    Javascript is not a program or application downloadable from Oracle/Sun-Java.

If your banking website requires javascript (likely enough), then enable it.

Are you using Firefox and the NoScript extension?
    If not, what browser are you using?

In NoScript, sometimes you need to allow 'abcdefg.com', then reload the page and also allow some second-level domain, like 'images.abcdefg.com', or whatever.

But you first need to be clear here about whether it's the Oracle/Sun-Java application you or the website requires, or merely the enabling of javascript within the browser.
    Sounds like maybe just the latter.

7. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Original Posted Link to ORACLE:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-6u29-download-513650.html

After Clicking on the above link move your Mouse Pointer over 'Downloads' in the Toolbar, an Drop Menu will fall.
    To the Right in an Red Header you will see 'Popular Downloads', Click on 'Java for Your Computer' from the List.

The link 'Java for Your Computer' will ultamately Navagate to:
    http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
    That is Now Owned by ORACLE.

Who Ownes Java?:
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/oracle-buys-sun-now-owns-java-becomes-a-hardware-player/16598

HKEY1952

8. Escalader

Yes! This is no doubt what is needed, enable javascript within my browser.

I'm using IE9. Not FF.

So in IE9 what is the trick? I went to it's Internet Options tabs 1 by 1 and found no setting for enable javascript?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. HKEY1952

How to enable scripting in your browser (with option to leave scripting disabled and allow only selected sites)
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/howtoscript

Note: To Allow Scripting only for Selected Web Sites, and to Leave Scripting Disabled in the Internet Zone, add the Selected Web Sites to the Trusted Sites Zone.

EDIT: Correction

HKEY1952

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  11. Escalader

TY, I have made the changes as per Ron and will try those now and report back.

12. Escalader

Report:

I reversed the IE 9 disable procedure as suggested.

But sadly the javascipt(void0) message continues as before.

I also put the site in question into the trusted zone temporarily disabled my AV (I'm) in an https site.

All to no avail.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

There should be NO checkmark next to ActiveX Filtering.

Attached Files:

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. HKEY1952

javascript: void(0)

void(0) is an 'operator' used to return an 'null' value so the Browser will be unable to load or refresh Web Pages.

For example: <_a href="javascript: void(0)">This link does not work_</a>

"This link does not work" would appear on the Web page as an Hyperlink but clicking on it would do nothing, and
    hoovering the Mouse over the Hyperlink would display "javascript: void(0)" down in the Task Bar of the Browser.

so....void(0) is useful when the Programmer nees to call another 'function' that may have otherwise resulted in an
    unwanted page refresh or load.

For example: <_a href="javascript: void(myNum=1952);alert('HKEY'+myNum)">HKEY1952_</a>

"HKEY1952" would appear on the Web page as an Hyperlink and clicking on it would return an 'value' using the
    void() 'operator'.....now.....myMum is the 'variable' that was set to the value 1952. (myNum=1952)
    Clicking on the Hyperlink "HKEY1952" Would Not open or refresh the current Web page, instead an 'Alert Box' would
    pop up displaying ( HKEY1952 ). This happens because the 'Function' ('HKEY'+myNum) concatenates 'HKEY' and the
    'variable' myNum (myNum=1952) and displays it in an 'Alert Box' and
    hoovering the Mouse over the Hyperlink would display "javascript: void(myNum=1952);alert('HKEY'+myNum)" down in the
    Task Bar of the Browser.

Test the Browser:
    You can test your Browser to see if it is able to run JavaScript by copying the following line into the Address Bar
    of your Browser and Pressing Enter:

JavaScript:alert("[HKEY1952]")

If your Browser is enabled to run JavaScript the result will be an 'Alert Box' displaying [HKEY1952]

If not, then an Popup Blocker or AD Blocker is preventing the display of the 'Alert Box' and/or
    The Browser is not configured to run scripts.....of which has already been discussed in this Thread regarding
    how to Enable and Disable JavaScript in the Browser. Also, if there is an programming error in the JavaScript Code
    on the Web site the Hyperlink and/or Function will not work, and finally, perhaps the Author(s) of the Web site
    have not completed their work as of yet, However,

The First Step is to make sure that your Browser can run JavaScript, if it can, then the Web site is at fault.

Edit: clarity

HKEY1952

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  16. HKEY1952

ActiveX has no influence on Active Scripting

If ActiveX is Disabled, and Active Scripting is Enabled,
    Then Active Scripting will send alerts about ActiveX being disabled.

Disabling Active Scripting will stop the alerts, by Disabling JavaScript.

ActiveX has no influence on Active Scripting, however,

Any ActiveX Processing Calls can only be made from JavaScript running on Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    Because ActiveX is only accessible from that browser. And Active Scripting would have to be Enabled.

Active Scripting must be Enabled for JavaScript to run,

Active Scripting must be Enabled for ActiveX to run, however,

JavaScript can run with ActiveX Disabled/Filtered.

HKEY1952

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.