Java applets vs. scripts vs. Javascript question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Fly, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A request for some insight.

After the most recent Microsoft updates (I use IE 7) I decided to examine the security and other settings of my browser.

I don't know if the latest IE 7 update changed anything.

Please understand that I use a non-English version of my OS and browser, I'll try to translate as best as I can.

'Execute Java applets in scripts' (enabled).

I don't know what to make of it. I don't have JAVA installed on my computer.
    For as far as I know, I have JAVASCRIPT enabled. Anyway, that's the way it used to be. Although I can't find any particular and specific reference to JAVASCRIPT in my browser.

Is 'Execute Java applets in scripts' another way to say that JAVASCRIPT is enabled ?

A litle research, quote: 'An applet is a program written in the Java programming language that can be included in an HTML page'

I'm quite sure I don't have JAVA installed. I seem to remember that in the past there was something about enabling (or not) JAVASCRIPT.

Can someone explain ?

Sorry about the caps, I just wanted to be clear.

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Java is not the same as Javascript. That setting has something to do with the way Java applets are executed. If you don't have Java installed, then that setting won't apply to you.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you.

I just did a little research, and it seems that all I have to do is to enable scripting to use javascript. But I recall that in the past there was a specific rule/line for javascript (enable, disable, prompt).

Do I recall incorrectly, or has something changed ?

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I've stopped using Internet Explorer for quite some time now, so I am not familiar with its settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.