I've been using Norton for years, Please tell me there is something better out there?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by oddworld, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Re: I've been using Norton for years, Please tell me there is something better out th

Damn. I forgot to include the link. o_O Sorry about that. :oops:

Here's the link to the thread I was talking about.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15853230

2. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

Re: I've been using Norton for years, Please tell me there is something better out th

hi all ...

What I want to say is NAV is scanning the files which is 110% sure.. you can do the Eichar test and then confirm this. For information on how this test work you can refer the web link provided below:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nav.nsf/docid/19975295056

I do agree that Symantec should have fixed this counter issue by now. But I don't think that we should go for a new AV just because of this small issue.

3. Graystoke

I couldn't get the link you provided to work. I get a "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" message.

4. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

It's not a small issue.

While it applies only to files having more than 2147483647 bytes, it affects:

1. Large backup files.
    2. Large movie, etc. files.

Whilst I am bothered by the missed counting, I am even more troubled that, if we ASSuME my evidence is correct, NAV is failing to notify us that the files are being skipped. The ONLY way such files can be skipped, or scan prematurely teerminated, is if the program detcts a file length error, and that should be detected, otherwise NAV could be blowing up.

5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

This is an entirely untrue statement. I scanned one file, a .rss text file consisting of 665 bytes. NAV 2006 completed the scan and promptly informed me that there were no viruses and that it had completed the scan on exactly 0 files. This problem affects more than just large files.

6. Howard Kaikow

That's a separate problem, and I've already pointed this out more than once in this thread.

I am referring ONLY to the problem related to filesize.

7. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

Try it once more ... there where some issues with the Symantec server yesturday

8. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

Okay... I will check this and get back to U . Before that have you tried to scan the same large files with other AV's ??

9. Graystoke

Hi Deepak. Are you a Symantec employee or just a loyal, knowledgeable user of NAV? Not trying to offend, just curious. :)

10. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Ah, ok...sorry about that Howard Kaikow. My mistake. Sometimes it helps to actually read.:blink:

I don't know about you, but I've been loyal to Symantec for quite a while, but if they do not get some of these problems ironed out soon, I will be jumping ship for Kaspersky. It makes one wonder if they cannot get file count issue resolved, how can they be adequately protecting my system from increasingly deceptive malware with complex heuristics?

11. Graystoke

My feelings exactly. I have already jumped ship. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that because I do like NAV 2006. It ran great on my computer. I really had no problems with it until this issue. If Symantec would have taken this more seriously and fixed the problem sooner, I would still be running NAV.

I tried KAV 6, but didn't like the way it affected my computer's perfomance. I'm running NOD32 now. It's very light, but still not 100% sure about it.

12. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

I am not a Symantec Employee ... but I am closely related to Symantec products and all the issues ....

13. dallen

dallen Registered Member

If you are in fact closely related to Symantec, would you please tell them that I'm getting pissed off about this issue. I'm also concerned that NAV has shut down on my desktop a couple times (very rarely)leaving nothing but a "critical error" message that some .exe was forced to shut down. Also, on occassion (more frequently than the shutdown error), I get the yellow triangle warning and upon investigation I discover that it is related to email and messenging protection, so I dig further to find that all of the settings are correct. The only way to clear this is to enter the email advanced options, make no changes, and simply click OK. Then I get the green checkmart. I am a moderately advanced user with nothing on my system that should conflict with NAV. The software was installed properly and I believe that these are all evidence of poor coding and design.

If you are so closely related, I'll expect at least a fix for the file count issue within a short amount of time. If I do not see this issue fixed, I'll assume that you are either not so closely related and/or Symantec either does not care about the problem or more likely cannot fix it. In either case, they are working towards losing my business and those people whos systems I maintain's business. Thank you for caring.

14. Howard Kaikow

As I state dearlier in this thread, I had reported this to Symantec, but their front line "support", as usual, proved to be totally imcompetent, so they could be hol;ding up the report getting back to the developers.

I then followed up on 15 Aril to an individual at Sysmantec who had been helpful in the past, thus far no response from him.

A few minutes ago, I sent him the message below the dashed line.
    If anybody else wishes to file a report at Symantc, it might be useful to cross reference the Symantec assigned case number.
    ------------------------------------------------
    I've yet to receive a response to the message below.
    Your front-line support is clearly inept.

-------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Case=002-001-513
    Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:26:17 -0400
    To:
    CC:
    References:

Back in 2003, as I recall, you were helpful in resolving an issue that
    your front-line tech support folkes were not capable of handling.

The issue is quite clearly a bug within NAV 2005, and maybe later
    versions. Easily reproducible and totally described in my postings in a
    web forum at
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=727740&posted=1#post727740.

This is an issue that MUST be addressed by the developers.

15. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

As I have mentioned I am not a " Symantec Employee " ... but I know most of the issues the Symantec users face. I also reports most of the Symantec issues to Symantec when ever I find any. If you are facing any issues with the product other than the file counter issue ..then I suggest you to contact the Symantec chat support.

If Norton have just failed once or twice .. you need not worry about it... as even Windows crashes more often... and as a program written in Windows this can happen.

I used to feel same way as you people some time back when I was using NAV .. then I switched to Macafee .. and found that NAV was a lot better. So I switched back....

I don't know much about Nod32 and all .. but when I downloaded the trial ..the setup file was just 9 Mb or so ..that means the software is lite ... or I will say it does not have many of the features with NAV have .. and that makes NOD faster .. if that thing is reaLLY fast enough ..

16. Howard Kaikow

Symantec's front line support is just not useful.
    If I were to post the responses I got from Symantec in response to my reporting the problem I have discussed:

1. A number of you would flat outright drop NAV.
    2. Others would get angry.
    3. Some might even suffer a heart attack.
    4. Some might die laughing.

Since this may be hazordous to other's health, I won't post the inept Symantec response.

That statement shows a lack of understanding about software.

Yes, I tried McAfee VS 10 a few months ago. It has at least 3 significant shortcomings:

1. The implementation is needlessly tied to IE, tho it is practical to use other than IE as the default browser, but getting McAfee to state this is not easy. See http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=71842&highlight=.

2. VS 10 may sometimes perform "automatic cleaning", i.e. delete a suspected file without giving you any warnimg or asking you what to do. Heck, NAV, and some other AV programs, have given users the opportunity to select the appropriate action for years.

3. When the NAV subscription expires, you can still get program updates. It is my understanding that this is not so for McAfee.

Huh?

The size of the file does not necessarily mean "the software is lite".

17. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

I wrote the following mail to Nod32 supportt:

" I want to know the major features of Nod antivirus and also what are the advantages when you compare it with Norton Anti

Virus "

The reply that I got was:

" Hello,

Everything you ask for, and more is available at our official forum. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

For sales related queries, please contact sales@eset.com

Thank you,
    Eset Tech Support "

Here i have asked them a simple question and what they have provided me was a forum link where thousands of things where

discussed. So they wan me to go through all the threads and find what the features was . If this is what I can expect for a

simple query like this..... then I will stop expecting ...

The exact words of dallen was this " I'm also concerned that NAV has shut down on my desktop a couple times (very

rarely)leaving nothing

Please note the thing " very rarely " and my comments where based on that..Are you telling that Windows OS is so stable that

it never hangs o_O And can you name a real time software that never hangs o_O

What I want to point out is most of the features inbulid in NAV might not be there in NOD32 .. the NAV setup file I think is

close to 40 MB when compared to the 9MB node .. U think that Symantec have hired a group of Engg who don't know the basics of

coding.... and that made NAV size 40 MB o_O?

You also mentioned that NAV is not able to scan files that are larger than 2GB.. I just tried scanning a 3.5GB ghost image with NAV .. and it scanned fine showing me the right count.... I did this with NAV 2006 ..

18. Graystoke

Hello Deepak.

Are you saying that the problem with the scan count has been fixed in NAV 2006? I really don't want to go through the process of installing NAV 2006, running a scan, and if not fixed, having to uninstall it again. Maybe someone who is using NAV 2006 can confirm that the scan count problem is fixed.

19. Howard Kaikow

Somebody else had previously stated that the problem exists in NAV 2006. Perhaps it was fixed in a recent LiveUpdate?

As we speak, I'm running LU in NAV 2005 ...

20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

How can you call that a simple question? That is an very broad and open-ended question. Software isn't so simple as that! Someone could spend days writing an answer to that question and still not completely answer it. You can find tons of discussion right here in the "other AVs" section. In addition, support needed to direct your non-support question elsewhere while they support users. Your question is more of a sales issue, and that is why they gave you the sales email addy.

21. Howard Kaikow

Not yet fixed in NAV 2005, at least under Win 2000.

If the problem was fixed in nAV 2006, but not in 2005, that would be rather disappointing. I'm not installing NAV 2006 until NAV 2005 subscription expires.

22. Deepak

Deepak Registered Member

Please do not get confused .... we are discussing two scanning issues:

1) After getting the latest program updates the scan count is shown as Zero or a less number is shown. This is a know issue that is seen in both NAV 2005 and 2006 with all the program updates updated. This issue is what Symantec is working on. Here if you look at the Active logs correct count will be shown.

2) The second issue was put forward by Howard. He told that NAV will shown zero count if you scan a file with the size greater than 2147483647 bytes. He also mentioned that in this case the Activity logs also shows the count as Zero. But when I tried the same thing with NAV 2006 I didn't face this issue.

The problem no 1 is still there.

23. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Let me make it very clear. The problem has not been fixed in NAV 2006 Premier. I am referring to the file count problem and I'm not sure that your assessment of the problem is correct. I get a 0 files scanned message when I scan a small file, yes. I also get the same message when I scan a 1.32 Gb mpeg file. The problem is not merely to small files and files with a size greater than 2147483647 bytes, as you've indicates. How damn difficult is it to count the friggin' number of files you've scanned. What the hell is taking so long to fix this problem?!?!? There is absolutely no reasonable explanation. The only explanation I can think of is incompetence.

Also, last night for the first time I received and error that I have never seen before. Something like, "Activity Log Error for E: drive" bla bla bla. Upon reboot, the error went away.

Deepak I want to clarify something with you as well. I have been a long time supporter of Symantec, despite their horrible (let me make it clearer, their attrocious) customer service record. I did say that NAV would shut down due to a critical error, rarely. My opinion of this situation was not very clear. This is unacceptable. I agree with you that even Windows is not 100% reliable and therefore it will have problems on a rare occassion. I have not had any Windows issues on this system. Symantec's quality has noticably declined with regards to their coding for NAV and unless I see some noticable improvements by the time my subscription expires, I will be switching to either KAV, NOD32, or Bit Defender.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  24. Graystoke

This is very interesting. Take a look at what Symantec's CEO has to say. Maybe this is why it takes so long for them to do anything about the problem, and why customer support is so bad.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15924232

25. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Don't waste your time reading that crap. All it's saying is that Symantec doesn't want to be considered just an Anti-virus company. This is because by being considered just an Anti-virus company Symantec would be limiting its customers to those in the market for AV products. Symantec wants to be bigger than that. It has little to do with explaining their lack of support. It would be different if the article said that Symantec does not want to be in the Anti-virus market and this article does not say that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.