iTunesSetup.exe?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by WilliamP, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Last night before going to bed I saw that on my desk top. I asked my wife about it and she didn't know anything. We were the only ones here. So I right clicked on it and it wouldn't let me delete it. This afternoon I ran Ewido and NOD32. I know I can go ito safe mode and delete it but where did it come from. It appears to have been down loaded but not run. It doesn't show up in Task Manager or in PG.

2. rve123

rve123 Registered Member

Hello :)

Itunes is a music-program from Apple: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

But how it came on your desk o_O
    I think somebody downloaded it.

QuickTime is in the same setup. Maybe someone wanted to have QuickTime??

3. WilliamP

After I posted I tried to delete again and this time I was able to delete it. I know I didn't download it and my wife said she didn't. So?

4. rve123

rve123 Registered Member

As far as I know Apple has nothing to do with malware.

But I can't explain how it appeared on your desko_O
    It's included in some other software, but then it will be installed and there will no installer appear on your desk.

Very strange :doubt:

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What probably happened is that someone went to a page that required QuickTime and it asked if you wanted to get it now, and someone agreed.

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Why you have to delete it? :rolleyes: :'( It's one of the best music player in my pc's. :oops:

I have iTunes from Apple installed in my pc, and it's great and easy to use for your music library. Have your pc connected with good sounding stereo speakers and it sounds great. Everything was in there...you'll really will felt like a DJ jockey. You can play, copy, and also burn music using iTunes. :D ;)

7. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Check the size of the file as itunes plus the itunesteup.exe will have 'itunes Installer Apple Computers Inc.' when you hover mouse over the icon. I have itunes installed on my laptop as I need it for my ipod but notice when I go to itunes store from my main PC click on a link to view they do prompt for the download of itunes but I have never had the download icon just appear without prompting o_O

Actually just downloading a backup copy now and the actual file size to download is 34.8mb.
    Version 6.0.4.2 HTH

8. WilliamP

I assume that I got this thru Quick Time. Don't really know what Quick Time is . I did a search on my computer for Quick Time. There is a bunch of files that showed up. Nothing shows as running in Task Man or anywhere else. What is it for?

9. rve123

rve123 Registered Member

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Personally I don't like QT but I have no option as itunes/ipod require this.
    I actually don't run or use it - only there because itunes insists it is :( but one thing you may like to do is remove the 'atboottime' for QuickTime.
    I use regprot when it is installed to stop this part as it is not required at boot but you can use msconfig to remove this if you don't want to add this to your start up processes. If it attempts to run atboot when on a website etc Regprot will alert me again.

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I also have an ipod, but I do use Quicktime alternative. :cool:
    Never liked Quicktime, because it made my system unstable.
    Don't use Itunes either, but instead use WinAmp. :)

12. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Cool to know your ipod still works without the real QT.
    I left well alone as I didn't want to upset my ipod :oops:
    I kept itunes to my laptop as I did fear it may cause problems on the desktop PC although was thinking about using my pod from there after my reformat.

I didn't realise WinAmp & the Alt. QT would keep the pod happy - mine is the 5th generation with video (don't use that bit) so this is why I was extra careful as it was only from the 5G's they insisted on QT.

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

If it works for you, why change it.
    Of course on a reformat you could try another one. :D
    Works like a charm, never had problems with it.
    If you want to use it with WinAmp, you need to download the iPod Support Plug-in. :cool:

Have a nice weekend B. :-*

14. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

;) thanks Eldar something for me to investigate and perhaps change my ipod's mind!

Always helpful with advice Eldar - hope Opera 9 is soon to be out of beta ;)

Relax and enjoy your weekend.

15. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Another vote for QuickTime alternative. I've seen QuickTime used on websites for amazing interactive 360° paranomic photos - e.g. the virtual tour of Oxford.

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just downloaded the alt. QT it will work well on my desktop as I don't have any QT there at all.
    I would love to use the 360° tours etc

Question: I have the real QT installed with itunes on my laptop is it possible to install this alt. one to use on webpages without actually uninstalling the itunes one at this stage?

I mainly use Opera so presume the plugin would work without calling on the real version?

17. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Don't know exactly, but if you've the real QT installed, I would uninstall it prior to installing QT alternative.
    They might conflict when both are present. :rolleyes:
    You don't have to uninstall Itunes. :)
    See above B. ;)

18. zillah

zillah Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.