iTunes hanging on ipod connect

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Chippy, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chippy

Chippy Registered Member

Hi guys - please can someone offer some help or advice?

I have been using NOD32, itunes and an Ipod Touch for years with no problems. However, recently a strange problem has cropped up. Whenever I connect my Ipod to my PC (XP SP3), itunes lauches as it should but immediately locks up for a few minutes. It then comes alive again, but cannot see the ipod, so I cannot sync or do anything ipod related. If I disconnect the ipod whilst itunes is locked, it is immediately unlocked. So it looks like itunes is hanging on the ipod.

This seems to be a firewall problem (even though it's a USB connection!?!?) If I disable NOD32 temporarily, the problem goes away and everything works properly. It is not a Defense+ problem, because this is disabled anyway.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix this? Running with the firewall down is not a viable solution for me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

Hello,

Try the following step two may not be nessarry.

PART 1 OF 2 – Adjust HTTP scanning.

#1 - Open the ESET Software, then push F5(Advanced Setup Tree)

#2 – Go to ‘Web access protection’ > ‘HTTP’ > ‘Web browsers’.

#3 – Uncheck all except for Internet Explorer and Firefox (You can uncheck IE and FF and GC if needed)

#4 – Go to ‘Protocol filtering’ on the left

#5 – Select ‘Applications marked as Internet browsers and e-mail clients’ then push OK.

PART 2 OF 2 – Optimize scanning

#1 - Open the ESET software, then push F5(Advanced Setup Tree)

#2 - From the setup tree, click Antivirus and antispyware ? Real Time File System Protection

#3 - uncheck Network Drives under Media to scan.

#4 - Click the Setup... button next to ThreatSense engine parameter setup.

#5 - Click Extensions and deselect the Scan all files check box.

#6 - Click OK to close the ThreatSense engine parameter setup window and save your settings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.