It's Official KIS 6.0.300 Sucks

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tazdevl, May 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Decided to give the trial a try. Yes I downloaded the latest version. Lighter but still prefer how NOD32, BOClean, SpySweeper and ZA Pro runs on my laptop.

Uninstalled and now everything I download comes in at 5KB/Sec. I'm on a 5mbit connection. Didn't have this issue until I uninstalled KIS.

Looks like this should have remained in the oven a bit longer.

Ideas on how to rectify? Already tried WinsockFix.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

maybe teh HTTP scanner is slowing down ur connection?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Not likely (I would hope) since tazdevl uninstalled KIS.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have retitled your thread, excessive wording/imagery not required, many would find it very offensive, please keep this in mind for the future.

After Winsock, did you repair IMON?

Blackspear.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You probably have not completely uninstalled KIS.

1. Download Kav/Kis6Remove.zip

2. Boot into Safe Mode and run the avp_remove.cmd. Reboot.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Not enough if you ask me.;)

7. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Hah!

I vowed last year to NEVER install another KAV product on my PC's after a DISASTER trying to get it removed from one.

I broke my vow, tried KAV6, hated it, uninstalled it, and lost my internet connection until I rebooted my machines, router, and modems. Even now, my machine has to "Establish" a connection when it boots, taking another 2 minutes and it NEVER had to do this before KAV.

I was a fool twice, and hate admitting it!

8. izi

izi Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, because I love KAV!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,all: Blackcat is absolutely right. KIS or KAV donot come with uninstaller. In other words, you cannot use window's Add/Remove or uninstaller programs. If you try to delete it directly from C:/program file/, you may suffer some sort of after tastes such as loss of internet connection; BSOD;system slowdown etc. These are my painful experience. Take Blackcat's advice. Perhaps your system restore can help you a bit.

10. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

It must be operator erroro_O

I have installed and uninstalled KAV, versions 5.x up to 6.x, hundreds of times and have never had a single issue. The problem that I see with a lot of complaints like these are some of the poorly coded third party programs that are used, such as Zone Alarm, Symantec etc. I work on computers for a living and see what programs work and which ones don't and when I see people post these types of complaints they are usually using one of the programs that I'm referring to.

This is even the case when one of these poorly written programs has been previously installed since most of the time they don't uninstall properly thereby causing the problem. What one must remember when trying a lot of different antivirus programs or firewalls is that they load drivers with Windows, if those drivers aren't removed properly you will having nothing but problems. I know a lot of people have seen these issues with video card drivers and such, the old drivers must be FULLY removed prior to installing the new drivers. This is why I think it's a good idea to use a program such as Your Uninstaller and RegSupreme to make sure things are cleaned out as best as they can be.

:cool:

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, but your conclusion about KAV was slightly colored by the fact that your main criteria in choosing an AV is that it needs to be able to be installed on all 6 of your machines using 1 license! And KAV 6 fails miserably in this respect :rolleyes: :D

12. .....

..... Registered Member

Perman, i don't know where you got your information from, but it's extremely flawed. KAV/ KIS 6 come with an uninstaller that works under 99.9% of occasions, under the odd case it doesn't remove everything, which is why the (additional) uninstaller is provided.

13. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Kobra, you have always disliked KAV, so why don't you just stay away from it?
    In fact whatever you are using now, at some point is going to get your skivies in a wad and then you will dog it. It happens with every AV you have used.:doubt:

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, you are right. That was my oversight. KIS or KAV 6 do come with built-in uninstaller. My bad experience was with KIS and KAV v6 beta. Now i have KAV v6 00 300, and i works flawlessly. Thank you for pointers.:thumb:

15. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Absolutely not! Once I discovered one licenses would only cover 2 machines, I contacted KAV and was promptly dispatched another free license to cover the addition. This didn't weigh into my decision at all.

That doesn't seem like a plausible hypothesis given the fact I have been happily using VBA32 for nearly 2 years (without a single complaint). THAT despite having free licenses to every AV on the market at the moment.

Now to address your ridiculous statement even though we've established it doesn't apply in this case. Lets assume you eat and enjoy McDonalds fries right now. But a year from now they suddenly change their recipe, and you dislike the new ones. Do you continue to eat the old ones out of principle, or do you stop eating them - switch to Burger King Fries, and tell people you dislike McDonalds fries now? Riddle me this: Would you follow someone like that around, saying they were a hypocrite for changing their mind about McDonalds?

16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

The above post is from April 13th concerning the removal of the number of definitions not being shown in VBA32.

Not a single complaint?

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think op forgot to disable KIS 1st before uninstalling. As a loyal NOD32 user for over a year haven't touched Kaspersky's v6 anything. But previous uninstalls of resident programs sometimes proved painful when NOT exiting these 1st.

18. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

OT, but it's good having iconclasts here.
    Challenging orthodoxy is not a bad thing.
    It always provokes good debate here.

19. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

At face value, yes. But keep in mind I have a plethora of machines, many of which I use for testing, some for company business, and others for gaming only. So I can be talking about a very specific machine under some threads.

20. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Yeah, I know that and I am just pulling your chain, don't take it personal.;)

21. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Regarding the title of the thread, even though I do not agree with it entirely, I think that those that think it deserves to be further edited may not have a full appreciation of the open forum concept and free speech.

I recently tried KIS, both 6.0.300 and beta 6.0.314. Neither would work on my machine in spite of the the fact that I had given the program virtually a clean slate to work with. I am just now cutting my ties with Symantec after having been loyal since 2002. I've given about every reputable AV a trial and my conclusion is BitDefender.

22. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Regardless of how good at detecting malware a program is, if it will not work on one's machine it is of no use.
    I am finding that KAV 6 runs well with few conflicts. The conflicts so far have been minor, and easily correctable.

If BD runs well on your system it is one of the very best overall, in my opinion, based upon my own use.
    After a good trial, such as 30 days, will you give us a report on your experience and satisfaction with BD?

PS. I would be interested in knowing what other security programs you have running along with BD, and whether they are on-demand only or running.

Thanks, and best with BD.
    Jerry

24. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

You will probably be happy with your choice. I got a one year liscense for free and have been running it on a comp at work for 3 months with no issues. Seems to be fairly light and does its job.

25. dallen

dallen Registered Member

SDS909,
    It is unfortunate that your posting was removed. I would really like to know what it is you said, especially since I have never said anything to or about you to provoke your comments. Nevertheless, you can still send me a PM. <snip> uncalled for remark removed==bigc

JerryM,
    I will indeed let you know my conclusion. I am simultaneously testing NOD32, F-Secure, BD, and soon to be running a new beta of KAV.

Regarding the other security programs, I use ZA as my firewall, SpywareBlaster, Spybot Search & Destroy (passively), SpySweeper (actively, but I removed it to try KAV to eliminate all potential conflicts). I used to use Lavasoft's Ad-Aware passively; however, I've concluded that it is worthless.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.