Issues with Linux version of NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by rustleg2, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustleg2

rustleg2 Registered Member

I have trialled NOD32 on Linux and have 3 issues. My trial runs out in a few days and I'm not sure that the Linux version is good enough yet. I would like to buy a licence as I think Linux malware is likely to be on the increase, but I don't want to burden my system with software which is problematical.

I have installed NOD32 in Linux Mint 10 AMD64.

The issues are

1. Can't install NOD32 in Debian version 6 - see separate post on this issue, which hasn't been resolved. The other 2 issues below relate to Linux Mint.

2. I have a USB stick permanently plugged in to the PC which I use for backups of my most important files (as well as backup to the cloud). When NOD32 is installed this stick is not automatically mounted after boot. To mount it I have to unplug it and plug it back in. After uninstalling NOD32 and rebooting it was again mounted straight from boot, so the issue is down to NOD32.

3. Disc file operations are very significantly slowed down. When I tried to clear my "Rubbish Bin" a bar saying "File operations ..." was shown where the system was engaged in some activity. After 10-20 seconds I aborted this. I then uninstalled NOD32 and rebooted (as for 2 above). Now when clearing the rubbish bin it was virtually instantaneous (which it should be as it is just deleting files). I also noted that sometimes moving a file across folders in the same partition took time. Clearly NOD32 is interfering with these file operations. I used NOD32 before in Windows some years ago and it had a very light footprint with no discernible effect on file operations, so I think this is a bug somewhere in the Linux version.

I'm prepared to reinstall NOD32 for the last few days of the trial if it helps to test something to try to resolve these issues.

2. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi,

Regarding the issues in Linux Mint:

Same problem for me, I'll notify developers. Thanks.

Running smoothly for me. When the issue occurs, could you open System Monitor, go to the Processes tab and see the CPU usage. Let me know what you find.

3. rustleg2

rustleg2 Registered Member

(sorry for the delay - couldn't get through to the forum yesterday)

OK I reinstalled the trial to check on this and now the effect does not happen! If it resurfaces I'll post again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.