Issues with CD drive

Discussion in 'hardware' started by redblack, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

As WS Fuser said,just replace the drive,its so cheap and thats it!:thumb:
    You could probably do it yourself.Ask your friend how to.

2. redblack

redblack Registered Member

Hi all.
    I guess I've got some more questions on your comments.

1) WSFuser says to replace the laser, HairyCoo says to replace the drive. Which is the better approach?

2) When you say to take out the drive do you mean opening the laptop and removing the whole DVD drive?

3) I've seen PCs opened before, but never a laptop and I imagine it's more delicate. Do you guys know where I could find a "service manual" or some pictorial "how-to's"? If of any help, my laptop is an Acer Extensa 5210.

4) What would be the safest way to avoid static electric shocks to the machine during the repair operations?

5) Just to check possible costs, I had a look on the web for CD/DVD drives. What I was looking for is:
    DVD+-RW (+-R DL) / DVD-RAM drive.
    I found some drives with IDE-type and others with SERIAL ATA-type. No idea what the difference is - do you know how I can find out what type is my drive?

Once again thanks for your help.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

1. I never recommended replacing the laser, but I would choose the cheaper option.

2. Yes

3. Look through the Acer website for a manual; not all laptops are built the same

5. Look in Device Manager and check at the name of your drive and post it here. It usually has clues.

4. Hairy Coo

(1)Dont waste time -just buy the complete unit-doubt if a laser only is available or can be fitted

(2) Yes

(3)Acer

(4) not a real issue but just ground yourself, by touching say a kitchen tap or faucet,prior to commencing the work.

(5)Check if your motherboard supports SATA or IDE-SATA is preferable if supported. Run an app called PC Wizard(do a Google),which will tell you

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  5. redblack

Device name is:
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N.

In post #16 I attached 2 files. The "Info Tool output" file lists all the components and drivers of my laptop.
    One section says:
    ==============================
    DVD/CD-ROM drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N
    -----------------------------
    Driver
    Description : CD-ROM Drive
    Company : Microsoft
    Version : 5.1.2535.0
    Date : 7-1-2001
    File Name : cdrom.inf

Interface/Features
    Interface : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    Parent Interface : Primary IDE Channel
    Feature : Supported DMA modes: UDMA 0-2
    Feature : Current DMA mode: UDMA 2
    ===============================================

Basically it mentions both! Any ideaso_O?

Another shows:
    ==========================
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    Driver
    Description : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
    Company : Intel
    Version : 8.2.0.1011
    Date : 11-15-2006
    File Name : oem4.inf

Primary IDE Channel
    Driver
    Description : Primary IDE Channel
    Company : Microsoft
    Version : 5.1.2600.2180
    Date : 7-1-2001
    File Name : mshdc.inf

Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
    Driver
    Description : Intel(R) 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
    Company : Intel
    Version : 7.5.0.1017
    Date : 3-21-2007
    File Name : oem0.inf
    ============================================

Any clue?

6. redblack

Just been looking for my CD-DVD drive on yahoo. I typed the drive's name and I found this forum post:
    http://www.computerhilfen.com/hilfen-25-189857-0.html
    (where problems are a bit worse than mine), which then refers to this other one:
    http://www.computerhilfen.com/hilfen-26-186214-0.html
    which mentions two registry entries.
    My entries' values are:
    - UpperFilters:
    Type = REG_MULTI_SZ
    Data = NTIDrvr
    - Lower Filters
    Type = REG_MULTI_SZ
    Data = UBHelper

That forum 2nd thread says to 'kill the values': what does it mean? delete the entries?? (English is not my 1st language :p )
    I know the registry is the most delicate thing in Windows. Do you guys know whether it is worth doing that?
    Could that be the solution and it's not a laser issueo_O

Btw today I called Acer: my laptop has 1yr warranty so they could repair the driver -if that's the problem!

Damn, I'm giving you guys some hard time. Sorry about that, I appreciate the help.

7. Hairy Coo

You are just uneccessarily complicating issues for no point.
    It is possible your mobo would support SATA -to find out undo theDVD/CD Drive and determine the plug type-if its a SATA single plug,theres your answer or use PC Wizard.

BUT
    Dont know why you just dont return the notebook for repair under warranty,please explain.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Your GSA-T20N drive is ATA (aka IDE).

9. redblack

You're right, perhaps I'm getting a bit paranoid with the whole thing.

HairyCoo, I was going to have it repair but two reasons gave me doubts:
    1) I've never needed to send a computer in for repair. So I'm not sure whether they might not solve the issue properly so I would have to send it again and the story repeats until the warranty expires...
    2) The TechSupport told me that if the issue is caused by software they will charge me. Now the forum link in my previous post seems to imply that the problem could be in the registry (due to Windows update), so I'm getting worried.
    As I said, perhaps I'm overworried, but I hate when I can't understand something.

Anyhow while I'm writing I've just found somebody with exactly my same problem, and the answer suggested is the laser (with more technical details):
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-10879-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=249192&messageID=2392716

I'll send it in for repair, as it seems the obvious thing to do. I'll report back when I get the laptop back, just to say what the problem was exactly or how it was solved.

Btw, before sending it for repair do you think I should disable antispyware, firewall and antivirus (in case they don't allow the repair guys to do some changes or install software)?

10. Hairy Coo

Well,if you have any really confidential data on disk there may be a problem-otherwise just send it as is-these guys should hopefully be experts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.