Isolate mutiple browsers on linux?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lucygrl, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Hello, is there a way to isolate say 3 firefox browsers on linux? So for example, if browser one got infected with a problem such as malware, it would not spread to the other browsers on the OS? Or would a problem just simply spread through the system?

thankyou.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi lucygrl,

There is a way to separate the installation of 3 separate Firefox browsers in Linux which I utilize on a version numbering basis by naming each separate version in /usr/lib on installation. That is only the first part of solving the problem.

In each users account on the same computer, there is a different profile for each user that is kept in the user's home directory named ~username/.mozilla. If userA got infected, it could be either in the /usr/lib/firefox-28.0 instance of firefox or for example, in the /usr/lib/firefox-29.0.1 instance of firefox. If so, then all of the users using one of either instance of an infected Firefox would run into problems. But, if only userA in account /home/userA profile directory /home/userA/.mozilla got infected there and not in either instance of the /usr/lib versions of Firefox, then only userA would be infected with malware in the /home/userA/.mozilla profile directory. So, infection depends on where the infection asserts itself as to whether one user or many users get infected with the same problem malware.

The way I setup my different Firefox versions is as follows:
    1) as root, create instance directories for each different version of Firefox, e.g. in /usr/lib/firefox-28.0 and /usr/lib/firefox-29.0.1
    2) as root, decompress and untar the specific versions with gunzip if the version is compressed with gzip (.gz), or unxz if with xz (.xz) in a Desktop directory
    3) as root, untar the tar file of each separate version which untars to a firefox directory (on the Destop directory in this example)
    4) as root cd or pushd to the firefox directory of each instance and issue a cp -rp ./* into the respective /usr/lib/firefox-28.0 or /usr/lib/firefox-29.0.1 directories respectively
    5) as root, cd or pushd from either /usr/lib/firefox-version directory to /usr/bin directory, and then issue the command: ls -lt firefox*
    6) setup the following symbolic links with these commands from /usr/bin
    # ln -s ../lib/firefox-28.0/firefox firefox-28.0
    # ln -s ../lib/firefox-29.0.1/firefox firefox-29.0.1
    7) Choose one of the versions to be the actual Firefox linked into the Firefox icon from the applications bar (I am using Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS):
    # ln -s firefox-28.0 firefox
    The last command will set Firefox 28.0 instance to be linked to the Firefox icon, and can easily be changed to use the symbolic link to Firefox-29.0.1 to be the default Firefox used by users on that computer - just remove and re-symbolic link to the other Firefox version.

At the end of each daily Firefox session, I have developed a couple of scripts to help me save my Firefox profile on my hard drive in order to retain my bookmarks, history that I may want to retain (the reason I do this is that I boot up daily Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS from a USB flash drive). Conversely, on a daily basis, I boot from a couple of setup scripts that reside on my hard drive to setup my user environment from the booted USB flash drive.

-- Tom

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I just put each one in it's own VM. CrunchBang VMs use ~120 MB RAM at idle, and one Firefox window adds another 180-220 MB. A CrunchBang VM with 400 MB RAM and 64 MB video RAM is usable. There's some swapping, but not enough to be annoying.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I also utilize the VM approach and I am very happy with that method. I tend to use a more "full size" VM with all the features of any surfing bare metal OS. With today's hardware and 32 Gig of Ram even VM's using 5 Gig of hard drive and 4-5 Gig assigned RAM - still allows you to run half a dozen and I never see a flinch. Blowing away any of them and re-cloning from their respective template makes it very easy to keep the "house" squeaky clean!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.