Is Windows XP firewall + Appdefend a complete firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by roark37, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Appdefend forum but here goes:

If you add Appdefend when using the XP firewall would that combo basically give you a complete firewall? The idea being that the XP firewall lacks outbound control which Appdefend provides(I think) and a lot more. And would this combination provide better security than Zone Alarm free or Kerio free which are complete firewalls with both inbound and outbound control? Does anyone that uses the XP firewall use this combination and partly at least for this reason? What about the same idea only the XP firewall and System safety monitor? Would that also provide the outbound control that XP firewall lacks?

Thanks.

roark37

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

that combination of appdefend and xp firewall would provide both inbound and outbound protection but it all depends on how much outbound security u want.

i personally prefer a complete firewall.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi roark37,
    For the firewall part: Appdefend will give you the ability to allow/deny applications to internet access (this is Allow all/deny all). SSM at this time does not give you this option (but is on their "to do" list)

4. f3x

f3x Registered Member

appdefend new version will be much more closer to the actual firewall outbound protection, you can see screenshot here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=803686#post803686

However i think it'll miss AI regarding wich program tryied to start the connection. If program A try to inject into program b and start a connection, a normal firwewall notify you that it's A who started the connection, not B.

appdefend would complain at both:
    it'll warn you that A hijacked B, and if you let it do:
    then it'll warn you than B connect to the net.

different approach....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  5. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

AppDefend is not a firewall, but still do some outbound detection. If you have problem with slowdown while surfing using some "complete firewalls" like ZoneAlarm or OutPost Pro or Kerio then AppDefend could be one of the better solution coz it didn't slow down net speed. :D

Check out the Appdefend forum and ask Jason more on this.

6. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

First, thank you to all for your replies.

Sweater, you hit on the main reason why I would like to keep the XP firewall, speed. My surfing seems much quicker using that instead of ZA free. I've read mixed reviews on the XP firewall. Some people who seem very knowledgeable would never use it while others, some on this board, who seem equally as expert do use it and claim it does a good job. The XP firewall did pass the shields up test at grc when I tested it.

I likely will at least try Appdefend and maybe also System Safety Monitor free or Process Guard free to get a feel for them. Are these programs all easy to uninstall/remove if you don't like them or just no longer want to use them? The reason I am hesitant to try out different firewalls, which I would like to, is the issues with removing them that I have read about. Things like removing stuff from the registry or hidden files are very intimidating for a user like me. Is there any reason why firewalls can't come with a complete uninstaller that would remove all traces of the program?

Thanks.

roark37

7. WSFuser

firewalls, like many security software, use drivers, hooks, and things like that. it isnt always as simple as deleting a file or registry key.

ive never tried uninstalling a firewall, but to be safe id invest in a drive imaging (true image) or snapshot software (fd-isr). this way u can safely test a software and when you're done, just go to a previous snaphot or image.

8. cacherlady

cacherlady Registered Member

I can't seem to find a place to post this - so I guess replying will have to do. I just read on the PC world site that if you have a bi-directional firewall, then you need to disable the windows xp firewall. I didn't do that when I installed the Zone Alarm free trial. Is that absolutely necessary?

Thanks,
    Cacherlady

9. WSFuser

yes. having multiple firewalls could cause conflicts.

also ZA should automatically disable the windows firewall when u install it.

other firewalls may do the same or at least give a warning.

10. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hello. I just wanted to ask if using System Safety Monitor Free with Kerio Personal Firewall Free would be a good combination, as long as KPF was set to 4 ask's in Any other application? Also would there be any conflicts with SSM Free if Application Behavior Blocking, which I'm told remains in the KPF Free Version, is enabled? I'm thinking this is something that SSM Free does already, correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.