Is Windows Defender still worth using?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mmiranda, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Is Windows Defender still worth using?

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

its ok IMHO spyware terminator has a better real time shield

3. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Mmiranda you dont need it with that setup

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

You already have better programs.
    I'd uninstall WD.

5. mmiranda

mmiranda Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll just uninstall it and cut down on on-demand scanning time when performing system maintenance :D

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It's a beta version, reasons enough to ditch it.

7. Cleatus

Cleatus Registered Member

Unequivocally,in addition to using obtrusive resources , errors at start up and update problems

8. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Not at all, in my opinion. Microsoft took one of the best antispyware apps on the market at the time (Giant AS) and have completely emasculated it. The resultant app is useless, or worse than useless if you consider the false sense of security that it confers.

9. Teme-84

Teme-84 Registered Member

Maybe but at least on my computer Spyware Terminator damaged my internet connection some way.. after installing it I scanned the computer once.. I didn't remove anything but after uninstalling the program, first, my WLAN was not secured by the "password" anymore. Suddenly it was open for everyone, like some airports have open wlans. And I couldn't access the internet anymore even if the modem was switched on. And after installing it, I found suddenly a text file "Desktop" everywhere. On quick launch icon list, on the program list that appears after pressing START in the left low corner..

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I know exactly what you're talking about.
    It would be very interesting to see a side-by-side comparison of WD vs. CounterSpy in detections.
    Being that they both originated from Giant AntiSpyware.I'm confident of which program is way better.I'd be curious to see just how much better CS is than WD.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

mmiranda. I uninstalled that windows defender a while ago. In all of the time i had it, it found 1 piece of malware and 5 cookies. You and I have almost the same software with the exception of your ZA Pro. I see you're concidering CPF. I finally dumped ZA Security Suite a few weeks ago and installed CPF. I got sick and tired of being afraid to upgrade to the next version of ZASS for fear of it screwing up my pc or at the least, giving me bugs. Looking at the horror stories in the ZA forum, and getting bit myself was too much to accept any more. It was a sweet app when I installed version 5.5, but selling the company has done them in. As soon as I installed CPF, my pc loads faster and shuts down in half the time, as well as my apps running crisper. The CPF configuration is nice, and if you put it on automatic as I did, just one or two adjustments and you can forget it. The pop ups are more informative too, giving you more information to decide whether to allow or not. Do it. It works well with NOD32 also. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.