IS THIS A PROBLEM?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guitarelf, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarelf

guitarelf Registered Member

I have V.3 of NoAdware installed. I just ran a scan with Spybot S&D 1.4 with latest definitions. NoAdware came up as a red entry for removal. Spyware Warrior says that V.3 NoAdware is now ok, so should I allow it or remove it & seek a refund, I purchased it on line, Wednesday of this week. :doubt:

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Before it was delisted from the rogue list it had a history of deception and a lot of false positives...

Supposedly these issues have been addressed but IMHO, i would never use it...

snowbound

3. muf

muf Registered Member

Every application is allowed another chance. Just because something was suspect doesn't mean it always will be. If your car won't start in the morning do you decide to get rid of it claiming you don't trust it any more? Or do you get it repaired and hope that it behaves itself. As long as NoAdware behaves itself then it should be ok to use.

If we never gave application's another chance then no-one would be using Ad-Aware. Remember what they did when they were working on version 6. No updates to version 5 for a gazillion weeks. Then we had the WhenU fiasco. If your AV falsely identifies a system file as malware and you delete it only to toast your pc then do you never use that AV again?

My feelings are that everyone should be allowed to clean up their act. If they do then they have the right to build trust from the users. NoAdware may have been suspect, but they are no longer in that category. As long as they stay honest and reliable then i see no reason why NoAdware should not be considered for spyware protection.

muf

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  4. snowbound

That's all well and good muf but in my books these people deliberately tried to screw people out of their money in the first place and consequently deserve no second chance....

Everyone can judge for themselves. ;) :D

snowbound

5. guitarelf

Thanks v much muf & snowbound for your words of wisdom, one for & one against NoAdware, uuuuum, I think I'll let Spybot allow it for the moment, unless anyone else can give me hard evidence to the contrary. :)

6. backroads

backroads Guest

It seems to me if you really want to use a program that has wronged us in the past the best thing is to wait. Let them prove themselves worthy. It may take some time though to see if they revert back to their evil ways but in time we'll see how honest they've become...or not. Maybe they'll go out of business while your waiting. ;)

7. guitarelf

I am inclined to agree with you, backroads, & they do have my bucks. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee, so maybe I'll just get a refund & put it all down to experience!

8. snowbound

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never use listed AS scanners on Eric Howes Rogue list, even when they were de-listed.
    I had a false positive (= the language indicator of Windows in the system tray) with XoftSpy, which is also de-listed.
    I won't give XoftSpy another chance again. They blew it. Once a thief always a thief.

10. guitarelf

Thanks snowbound, your last post has convinced me, I've uninstalled NoAdware & requested a full refund under the terms of their 30 day guarantee. When I performed the free scan, before I purchased, NoAdware turned up a bunch of "When U" entries, which, of course, could only be removed if you registered. Is this the same "When U" referred to above as a "fiasco" & if so, are NoAdware not quite the reformed folks they would have us believe? ;)

11. snowbound

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've been known to play with de-listed apps that have a free version, but my take on it is why pay $30 for something that leaves you with any question, when I could get SpySweeper or CounterSpy for $20?

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is typical for rogue AS softwares. They detect malwares, but you can't remove them unless you register and buy the software.
    I doubt even that these reported malwares are real and are used to make you buy the software.
    I would have run MSAS to check these WhenU's.
    The trial version of a serious AS software, detects and REMOVES the malware as well.

14. guitarelf

A looooooong thread to a loooooooong fiasco, snowbound, :eek: , what a can of worms!! I'm certain I've made the right decision to remove the software. The posts from EricAlbert & Notok underscore & reinforce your comments. I'm most grateful to all who have responded to my original post, thanks v much for your time & expertise.

15. guitarelf

Having requested a refund, I received a "pleading" email, asking me to reconsider my actions. I responded with a clear, polite reiteration of my wish for a refund. This was answered with a similar, "pleading" email, seemingly ignoring my initial request. I have sent a third, polite,but more firmly worded email, stating my wish for a full refund at their earliest.
    What are my rights as a dissatisfied customer, purchasing goods on line? :(

16. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Be interested to see if you do get that refund (fingers crossed) as per their guarantee....
    Make sure to let us know. :D

17. guitarelf

Will do, bigbuck. :)

18. guitarelf

Thanks v much for the good advice, snowbound. I'm going to contact Clikbank immediately & see what they can do. :)

19. snowbound

Your welcome and good luck with the refund. ;) :D

As bigbuck said, keep us all informed as to the results. :)

snowbound

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  20. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I think you should have came here and got advice before you bought the software but... Anyway hope they don`t give you too much of a hassle.

21. guitarelf

Don't worry, beetlejuice69, I know where to come for help & advice now. :)

22. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Yup, ya can`t beat this place. :)

23. guitarelf

[GLOW="NOT ANY MORE!!"]NOT ANY MORE!![/GLOW]

Within 24 hours of registering a claim with ClikBank, I have just received a full refund of the money I spent purchasing NoAdware. Sincere thanks to everyone who posted advice, support & good wishes.
    LESSONS LEARNED 1. Check with Wilders BEFORE you buy or install software.

2. If you discover you have been scammed, contact the seller immediately, politely & clearly. If they stonewall you or appear to be uncooperative, make out a claim with ClikBank/PayPal or your card provider. It reinforces your claim if you can back up your complaint by referring to trusted sites or individuals who have experienced the same problem. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Add the below link for another place to check for Anti-Spyware software. In fact there are many other words of good advice located at that site.

Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products

25. guitarelf

:) Thanks bubba, the more good info, the better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.