is there possibility of booting in already booted snapshot?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by sach1000rt, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sach1000rt

sach1000rt Registered Member

i am new to this fd-isr. i created 2 snapshots. but have some questions,
    can i boot in already booted snapshot?
    fd-isr works with dual boot options of os(if 2 os's are installed in different drives)
    snapshots get infected by virus or not?

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Snapshots can only be on the System part.[useally on C:]so the dif.OS,s are all on C: fdisr demand everything on the same partion if you like to boot the dif.OS,s

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by this...been a long week.
    Don't see why not, but as Huupi said Fd-isr only works in one partition, the system partition, so it would have to be installed on both drives and they would be independant of each other. I am thinking of setting something like that up on my next machine.
    Think of a snapshot as nothing more than an OS, so yes can get infected by malware, using a frozen snap however would clear it at reboot.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Sure you can install FDISR on different drives on the same puter but how about licence issues (different drive ID's) ?

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Very strange and confusing question ......... I can boot in a snapshot and I can reboot in the booted snapshot.
    You can boot in only ONE snapshot, not in two or more snapshots.
    FDISR is an Immediate System Recovery software, not a security software.
    If you go on-line and you don't have any security software installed in your snapshot, you will get infected by viruses or any other infections.

FDISR doesn't protect you against installation and execution of infections, BUT you can remove these infections, when you copy/update from a clean rollback snapshot/archive to an infected snapshot.

Another method is using a frozen snapshot, in that case infections will be removed during reboot by an automatic invisible copy/update from "Freeze Storage.arx" to frozen snapshot.

My advice : stick around and we will explain how FDISR needs to be installed and how you use FDISR in practice. :)

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

After all this time i been able to finally & easily Multi-Boot into several "same" XP Pro systems ALL with FD-ISR installed. The only problem i run into is getting StarDock's BootScreen to initiate instead of $M default and i'm not about to hack the ntoskrnl.exe Thats what programs like StarDock are designed to modify.
    But it's a very small tradeoff right now untill i find the answer to that. A simple change in the Boot.ini file of rdisk(0/1) finally solved that little mystery.

FD-ISR opens a whole world of discovery and methods that speeds up transferring systems + data for me. I'm experimenting with a dual-boot setup and making secondary snapshots in event that something malfunctions in Windows. So far so good. And that effectively ends my manual tampering with pulling the panels and changing HD's for now. I now stuff as many BOOTABLE HD's as any my boxes/mobos will accept and freely change without incident or problem. And if not? Thats where FD-ISR comes into play again to correct any issues in the configurations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.