is there a way to have office 2007 on usb?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have office 2007 home , is there a way to have a portable version usb , so i can keep with me and use in other pc?

i would like to have al last word 2007

thanks

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

It seems impossible because Office 2007 depends on some Windows file to work. I would also want to know if there would be an Office 2007 portable version.

3. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

You could try Openoffice Portable. Its a free open source alternative to MS Office and the little brother of Openoffice Suite. Latest version is 3.1.0, filesize between 80-90Mb.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mantra, if you need something similar to Word 2007 only, check out AbiWord Portable, courtesy of PortableApps.com.

5. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

use thinapps.

6. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I've seen portable versions of all office components except Outlook, i know Outlook relies on the registry heavily for all your email accounts etc (stupid idea) so i assume that's why it hasn't/cant be made portable.

But Word, yes you can i believe it's the easiest one to convert.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

rice4lunch, I hope you are not advocating using a pirated version of ThinApps. The cheapest ThinApp 4 Suite is $6050 US.
    1boss1, there are no official Microsoft portable versions of Office. Again, there are many illegal versions, made with pirated copies of ThinApps, and we should not be urging people to either make them or use them.

May I remind all Wilders members never to post any links to warez, which would be a violation of our TOS.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

so what does thinapps do exactly?

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

firzen771, perhaps this Overview will answer more of your questions. As stated by VMWare ThinApps:

10. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Who mentioned warez? o_O

If i own Office (which i do) can't i load it on a USB stick and use it that way instead of having it physically installed?

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

1boss1, you did not mention warez. That general statement was directed at anyone reading this thread, who could be thinking of posting links to illegal portable versions.

Have you attempted to load Office on an USB drive? As far as I know, the program needs to be installed and registered to the PC you are using it on.

12. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Ashampoo Office 2008 can be installed on a USB. Good enough for my basic docs processing. :thumb:

13. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Ok then that's fair enough. I was more commenting on it's physically possible, but yes the user should seek out the necessary legal doc's to ensure they don't breach their license if they attempt such a feat.

No i've never attempted to load it on a USB, but if Office can be installed on a drive other than C it might work.

I may look this up next reformat to see if it's allowed, all my programs where possible are portable although i don't use them on a USB. It keeps the filesystem and registry cleaner, and i just unzip my archive from the external to C:\Program Files\Portables and 140 programs are "installed" in 2 clicks in the event of problems.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

1boss1, like you, I use many portable programs, mainly from PortableApps.com, because of the same reason and with backups to an external drive. Very wise indeed. :thumb:

If you ever attempt loading Office to a different drive, let us know the outcome. Take care.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Probably not much point, as if you move the stick from one machine to another you will run into activation problems.

Pete

16. culla

culla Registered Member

yes turn returnil on instal office into a new folder on desktop rename it to office 2007 then move the folder to your usb then turn returnil off restart and there you have it my easy way works with most programs :D

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It might work with programs that don't do anything in the registry, but office 2007 buries itself deeply in the registry, plus it has it's activation key. Sure you can move the folder off to a USB key, but a reboot with returnil will wipe out a whole bunch of stuff.

If you have actually done this with office my apologies, but if not, I don't think it will work.

18. culla

culla Registered Member

done with 2000 2003 haven't tried 07 too much bloat in it for me i've got 2007 so i might try it when i'm bored i still use 2000 its got what i need :cool:

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

cool i would love to have one
    i have bought 2003 and 2007 , never had 2000

20. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

Who said anything about vv4R3z? I only meant its possible using thinkapp like products. But currently there are no free alternatives...

21. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Like the others, I don't believe there is a way to make the full MS Office truly portable. Peter wrote above, and I agree, that Office buries itself deep into the OS with multitudes of registry entries.

If you want a light and extremely fast word processor for USB, I would urge you to give Q-Jot a try. It's not as well known as Open Office or AbiWord, but it's also much, much lighter - yes with fewer features - but has 95% of what one would need in a portable word processor.

Q-Jot
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Text-editors/QJot.shtml

22. culla

culla Registered Member

here's a cut down version
    ~ Software Link Removed as per TOS ~

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
  23. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

A little less than that... say 15%. For example, QJot does not have its own dictionaries/thesaurus, but relies on WordWeb. That's why I'd never recommend it: AbiWord Portable is a much better choice.

24. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Culla, You are linking to pirated software on Rapidshare and Megaupload. That's frowned upon here and against the TOS (and rightly so).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2009
  25. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.