is there a way i can find out which programs ive installed in the last week?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi :) i want to do a system restore to 1/2 weeks ago because my computer was running more smoothly then. is there a way i can see all the changes ive made since then. like a HD search including dates, or a program which shows what was done on what day? thanks :)

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, but i don't know how to express a search with dates included. can someone show me, please? if anyone's interested there's a program which shows when programs were last modified. it's called ShortcutsMan

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

System restore shows you which programs you have installed and removed recently.

Jimbob

4. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Here is what I do to find new installs....

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Program Files folder. Then View > Details. Now you can click on the Date Modified field. You should be able to see which folders where modified sorted by date.

HTH,
    Mike

P.S. This is assuming the programs you installed, are installed into the Program Files folder.

5. geekwars

geekwars Guest

What I've been doing is I write down the date and time, on a note pad I keep next to my computer, whenever I add a new program, delete something, download anything, or make other important changes in Windows.

It may seem like a lot of work, but really it isn't, and then I can tell exactly when I did anything on my computer. I truly wish there was an easy to use program that would keep track of it all for me though, because sometimes I forget to write in the exact time of changes made.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the ideas. im only going to go back about a week. when i install a new program it doesn't go into the program menu alphabetically, but right at the end of the All Program's menu. so i can see back about a week there. and all my standalone programs are at the bottom of the standalone folder too. i think i just have to check that my hosts is up to date. plus i can have alook at my ShortcutsMan program. i cant really remember what stays the same and what changes with SR i haven't done it for awhile. but, i think it will be OK. :)

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi iceni60,

Please allow me to make a side-note, without any intention to hurt you my friend.

I saw you were asking at Ahulett's board about file integrity checkers.
    I also know that very few people use file integrity checkers.
    There are all sorts of file integrity checkers; I'm not going into that in this thread (that would be far off topic).
    But: a file integrity checker like ADinf32 (daily run) would have shown in its logs exactly what files were changed, added, or deleted.

Please apologize me: I know very well that once again I was off on my favourite topic :rolleyes:

All the best iceni60 !!!
    Most warmest regards, Jan.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, Fanj :) although i did have a few file integrity checkers, i only have Javacool's checker at the moment, the others were lost when i did my OS reinstall :( i'm still glad you brought up the subject though, it reminds me i have to get a system-wide checker, so thanks :) i've made notes of all the changes i've made in the last 2 weeks now so i think i'll be OK. anyway, thanks for your idea, Fanj, i hope you are well :)

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, sorry i missed afew replies in the thread :oops: . i checked out all your ideas :) i think i've got it all together now :cool:
    i was having trouble doing a search with dates because i use Agent Ransack to search my HD and id forgetten how to do a search including dates, i worked it out now :)

i didnt make it very clear before, but when i said ShortcutsMan shows when something was last modified, even though, that's the heading it comes under in the program, what it really shows is when it was installed. it seems all the other prgrams really do show when a program was last modified, that unfortunately isnt what i need as it will show a program i installed ages ago as being modified yesterday because that's when it was last used. anyway thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.