is there a utility that can manage isr files?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chrome_sturmen, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hey guys, I was wondering if there's a utility out there that can manage isr files? I had to do a repair install today of one of my snapshots and it set the boot.ini to 30 seconds, and I prefer mine at 10. I know, I could uninstall isr, edit my boot.ini files, and then reinstall, but this seems cumbersome. Any thoughts?

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Cant you just edit the boot.ini, disable FD preboot and copy to new/another snapshot, then copy back or make primary and reenable FD preboot?

?equally cumbersome depending on snap size or I've got it all wrong again?

3. chrome_sturmen

that wouldnt be a practical solution for me, as ive got a snapshot with a clean windows install, one with only drivers set up, and one with all my programs. thanks for your advice

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

OK
    That is interesting set-up.
    So, which is your "primary"?

Unless there is something I'm missing can you not boot to each snapshot with FD and edit boot.ini in that snap, then boot back to whichever you want?
    Unless each snapshot is frozen, any changes made will be kept per snapshot.

If I've got this idea arse about, please bare with me and let me know how.
    Regards.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not sure what you mean by "manage isr files". if you did a repair install and it changed something why not just fix what got changed. I am afraid I don't understand the problem.

Pete

6. chrome_sturmen

well theres no real problem per se, it's just that there've been times when I wanted to get in and explore the contents of the isr files, but access is denied- even if I boot over into an operating system on another partition, access to the isr files are still prohibited. for instance I needed to edit my boot.ini file and had to uninstall isr to do so, then reinstall, which is fine I guess.

happy holidays!!

7. Peter2150

That is means it is working exactly as intended. I have found it a bad idea to mess with that which I count to save from all the other messing about I do.

Actually boot.ini isn't part of FDISR perse, as it is a critical windows file. Are you sure it's FDISR.

Don't have time now, but I may give it a play on my VM machine later.

Pete

8. chrome_sturmen

theres a boot.ini file in every snapshot, and you have to change all of them if you want it changed. since you cant access the folders, you have to first uninstall isr, then once youve done it, reinstall- its not something needed often anyways, so only a very minor inconvenience. dont drink too much new years eve ale, and get in and mess up your isr files!! then even wilbert wont be able to save you ;(

9. Peter2150

I just tried and had no problem accessing boot.ini. Yes you would have to change it in every snapshot. Also you could run msconfig and modify boot.ini that way.

Bottom line, I don't see FDISR interfering, other that having to do it in each snapshot, if you don't want to copy/update.

Cheers,

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.