Is there a simple way to password protect external drives.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I need a simple software that would password protect my external SD card. I use it as an external storage drive for my main documents and I often travel with my laptops in shady hoods.
    I don't want anything as complicated as TrueCrypt. And it has to work on Linux, that's why Im posting here.

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

But TrueCrypt isn't complicated :(

I use dm-crypt to protect my drives, they not only require passwords, but their data is encrypted.

3. x942

x942 Guest

CryptSetup works well. It is all command line but if you use ubuntu their disk utility has built in GUI Front-End for it. Ubuntu (and most distros) will prompt for password automatically on insert of an encrypted drive too. So no need to go and run a program.

I have fully moved over to CryptSetup instead of truecrypt. I also use cryptmount for creating volumes. This further replaces truecrypt for me.

4. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi

Plenty of ways to do it.
    But sometimes security is the enemy of convenience...
    Then if you are looking for a cross platform tool easier than TC, then i suggest SecureStick http://www.withopf.com/tools/securstick/
    The cross platform is possible via WebDav...for those who like it...
    Personally i use a command line tool, quite a torture for non keyboard fan, but reliable and secure.
    For X942, Zulucrypt project might be interesting
    https://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/

Rgds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.