Is there a need for PageDefrag if I have O&O Defrag already?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by sweater, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Is there still a need for me to use PageDefrag of sysinternals.com if I am already using the O&O Defrag 8.5? :rolleyes:

are the offline boot-time defrag of O&O Defrag effective enough to handle and does the same way what PageDefrag can do? o_O

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I use both.
    Pagedefrag starts at every startup of my PC with 0 seconds delay, and defrags the main system files incl. the registry very fast. It takes about a second, if you do it with each startup.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just rely on O&O's boot defrag but u can just as well use PageDefrag. its free after all.

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    So, there's no conflict using both?

I hesitates coz they may have some kind of different "techniques" of defragmeting the pagefile. :cautious:

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I think O & O has a pretty good reputation with regard to placement of the files it defragments. I've never used either O&O or PageDefrag. (I use PerfectDisk).
    My guess would be that they Probably have different strategies and in a sense oppose each other. My system files don't get very fragmented (those that need to be defragged offline). Probably the larger issues are the placement of the pagefile on the partition, and the defragmenting of the prefech and layout.ini files (the latter are part of online defragmenting with perfect disk, and undoubtably with O and O).

I would say if you got O and O stick to that.

-HandsOff

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think they both just defragment the pagefile. to be safe, u can just use O&O exclusively.

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

You may be mainly right, WSF. I really don't like how hard it is to compare what programs like this are doing. In fact, it's hard to know what they are doing. Even so, how does a page file defragmenter handle situations where there is very little free disk area, perhaps not a lot of system memory either.

With Perfect disk 6, I used to get the cryptic message: Not enough memory to defragment system files during some offline defrags. Given that there was plenty of drive space and adequate memory, I took it to mean, perhaps, that files had to be moved outside of their "zones". What would happen is it would do as much as it could. At the next reboot the the job was easier, because a lot of the defragging was already done.

I've heard O and O is the best. Perfect disk is pretty good though.

-HandsOff

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's not necessary to use both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.