Is The Latest Skype 4.1 Safe?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I've read many stories about security issues and Skype, the latest one I read was talking about Skype getting motherboard and bios info.

But since Skype was just sold off, with Ebay retaining 30%, I wonder if the program is safe at the moment to use?

I use Linux and I read they are working on an opensource version for Linux which is in Beta now:

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/

Getting the Linux version makes me feel safer then using the Windows version, because it's my understanding it's opensource...

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I doubt anyone would be so brazen to write such a obvious keyhole onto the users system. The average HIPS would flag such an action, at the least. But yeah, Skype's service is probably the last place I'd discuss my future plans for world domination. The recent thing with Yahoo Mail willing to pass on their user's private information for $$ just highlights the dangers of trusting your private information with corporations. Apparently VOIP is the terrorists choice for planing.

You are at greater risk by registering with your REAL information at sign-up. Yahoo Mail for instance ... they used to incorporate the ZIP/Post Code you gave them during the registering process. The Zip/Post Code for your account then identified you at every turn whilst you are using Yahoo's services. Obviously they have your IP, also.

I presume you are talking about privacy (Skype seeking motherboard and bios info). Because I have heard talk of shady goings on with Skype - regarding who actually owns it now, and whether various security agencies have access to their servers.

If you just use Skype for fun and games - there's no problem. Right. :ninja:

3. culla

culla Registered Member

On September 1, 2009, a group of investors led by Silver Lake bought 65% of Skype for $1.9 billion. Later this amount was adjusted when eBay and the new investors settled a lawsuit that had been brought by a holding company set up by the original founders. It turned out that the holding company had always owned the underlying peer-to-peer technology. The lawsuit was eventually settled with ownership being divided with the new investors owning 56%, the original founders owning 14% and eBay retaining 30%.

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I wonder if it's better to use an older version of Skype before Ebay came on the scene?

I read somewhere that the 2.0x versions were safe before all the BS started.

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.