Is SSL protocol filtering really "worth it" ??

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by StoneDog, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneDog

StoneDog Registered Member

Hi,

First I would like to state that I am really happy for ESS 4 - works fine; is fast; low on system resources etc.

HOWEVER one thing really sucks - the SSL protocol filtering :mad:
    If I have it set to "Always scan SSL protocol" some many sites work - albeit slowly (atleast the first time you access it) ... but many don't.
    If you set it to "Ask about non-visited sites ..." you get 'bothered' with a popup every time you access a site you haven't visited before. Also not all sites will work and e.g Firefox 3.5 will not restart after installing a addon ....

Now - my question: Is using the SSL protocol filtering option really a good thing ??
    I mean - is it really necessary .... or merely a 'marketing stunt' as other Security Suites have this ??

You guru's out there in the know about this in detail - please help this poor dog understand whether I can just turn this off and "live happily ever after" :blink:

Cheers,
    //DOG

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

i don't think it is necessary and you don't have to be guru to realise that as you just did :)

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@StoneDog

Q : Is SSL protocol filtering really "worth it" ??
    A: Of course NOT .

The traffic is secure and is expected to be clean . Additionally , there is a real-time file system protection which , if enabled , should detect potentially malicious things. SSL scanning is one of the things that ESET should not have impremented in their software but trying to be "modern" they simply did it. They know it very well that this does not add any additional protection to the system.

4. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Besides, If it does not work with all the major browsers why bother implementing (Opera is off limits because the SSL certificate is not added to the repository of the browser)...
    I have posted the issue here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241481 and a lot of versions later still no answer about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.