Is SpywareBlaster adware

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by pealnews@yahoo.com, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pealnews@yahoo.com

pealnews@yahoo.com Registered Member

I've heard some spy-remover programs are actually spyware themselves.
    Is Spyware Blaster safe?
    Thanks, Mary

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

SpywareBlaster has no adware or spyware in it. However, I'm not sure how anyone here could convince you of that since this forum is where the SpywareBlaster is hosted. But perhaps these references would help.

First, if you trust Spybot Search & Destroy, then all you have to do is open that, click the Immunize button and read the recommendation displayed there by the Spybot author regarding SpywareBlaster.

Secondly, you will see a recommendation at a very many security forums to use SpywareBlaster. If you trust any of those sites, then you'd want to trust their advice. Many security sites have a "why did I get infected in the first place" type thread. Several use the same exact recommendations as a standard. Do a Google search on this phrase: "protect you from all spy/foistware in it's database"

Like this: Google If you alter and loosen the wording a little, you'll find a lot more sites with that recommendation. The specific search I recommended was pretty exact, so it limits the returned entries.

In any case, hopefully those two items help to back up my recommendation.

3. Clowny

Clowny Registered Member

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Indeed, and that site shows some rogue products and websites that attempt to profit off of SpywareBlaster's good name. It also has its own recommendation to use the real SpywareBlaster from Javacool to protect your system in the "trustworthy" section.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Part of a minimalist approach we have in securing a PC is the following:

1. Make sure “Windows” is kept FULLY UP TO DATE.

While on the Internet, Click on Internet Explorer (the Blue “e”), Click on Tools (on the bar at the top of your screen in Internet Explorer), Click on Windows Update. This will take you to the Microsoft Windows Update page where you need to follow the on screen prompts, starting with “Scan for Updates”. Install ALL “Critical Updates” and “Service Packs”.

WEEKLY – check this is “Up to Date”.

2. Make sure if you use “Microsoft Office” it is kept FULLY UP TO DATE.

While on the Internet, Click on Internet Explorer (the Blue “e”), Click on Tools, Click on Windows Update, Click on the tab at the top that says “Office Update”, follow the on screen prompts, starting with “Check for Updates”. Install ALL “Critical Updates” and “Service Packs”.

WEEKLY – check this is “Up to Date”.

3. Make sure you have Virus Protection on EVERY computer – NO EXCUSES.

4. Make sure your anti-virus is FULLY UP TO DATE.

DAILY – check this program is “Up to Date”.

WEEKLY - RUN A SCAN

5. Do NOT share the main “C” drive of ANY computer on a network.

Prior to Opaserv it was (and no doubt will continue to be) standard networking practice, by the great majority of technicians world-over to share each computers main “C” drive. With the advent of Opaserv this practice must be altered to address a security flaw found within Windows.

Share ONLY a necessary folder(s) within your “C” drive for networking.

6. Install a Firewall. We use and recommend ZoneAlarm - FREE for personal use, available from www.zonelabs.com ZoneAlarm has continually tested exceedingly well at a world renown security testing company www.grc.com As well, ZoneAlarm is “Visual”, you can see what is going on, what is accessing the internet, and also trying to access your computer from the internet.

IMPORTANT! – KNOW all the programs listed within ZoneAlarm that you are allowing access to the internet.

Do NOT say yes to everything, do NOT be “Click Happy”, if you do, you are TOTALLY compromising your security.

MONTHLY – check this program is “Up to Date”.
    (ZoneAlarm> Overview> Preferences> Check for Updates)

7. Install SpyBot Search and Destroy.

This is FREE for personal use and available from http://beam.to/spybotsd and http://www.download.com We have had hundreds of new clients come in with computer problems relating to programs downloaded/ing in the background (without the client’s knowledge). One computer had slowed to a complete crawl and the client was quite distressed as to why.

WEEKLY - RUN A SCAN.
    (Spybot Search and Destroy> Check for Problems)

8. Install AdAware.

This is FREE for personal use and available from http://www.lavasoftusa.com What Spybot Search and Destroy doesn’t pick up, this will.

WEEKLY - RUN A SCAN.
    (AdAware> Scan now)

9. Install Spyware Guard.

This is FREE for personal use and available from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

10. Install Spyware Blaster.

This is FREE for personal use and available from http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

Together these are “Essential Security Software”, programs that will give you a “Layered Defense”, learn to use them, keep them updated, run/scan/check all of them, they are there to PROTECT your computer. Let them do their job, by keeping them up to date and most importantly by actually USING them...

With ALL software, and especially Windows, make sure it is ALWAYS KEPT FULLY UP TO DATE. If there are NEW VERSIONS of these security programs, download them, or ask someone to download them for you, most importantly, it just needs to be done.

Hope this helps…

Cheers :D

6. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Registered Member

Clowny....thanks for the link.

7. RandomUser

RandomUser Guest

Very good recommendations from Blackspear. I will add one more -- use a different browser from IE. I recommend Firefox.

8. RandomUser

RandomUser Guest

And another recommendation -- setup a personal firewall. You can download free ones from ZoneAlarm, Sygate, etc.

9. TeMerc

TeMerc Registered Member

I'd liek to ad my 2 cents into this thread regarding the level of protection you can add.

Here are a few I recommend over at Spyware Warrior Forums, where I'm Admin, and HJT analyst:

1. Install IESPY ADS. Adds a ton of known malware sites to your restricted zone.

2. Add MVPS Hosts. Block out the servers that host known malware sites.

3. Follow these IE Tweaks. Who needs Mozilla? Been online for nearly 8 years, never a problem.

4. Consider another excellent app, WinPatrol. They just upgraded to v8.0, and it works great, has lots of neat features too.

Oh, and everything I listed are of course free. Not that free stops me, because I upgraded to AdWatch
    and SpySweeper
    too. :cool:

10. Engine

Engine Guest

Hi TeMerc and others,

I have reviewed WinPatrol soft and I am going to taste it but before than I would like to know if any1 can confirm the soft doesn't interfere in any ways among the below listed softwares:

Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05
    SpywareBlaster 3.2
    Spyware Guard 2.2
    Pop-up stopper 3.1
    Norton Antivirus
    CCleaner 1.13.069
    ZoneAlarm 5.1

Would appreciate to hear soon.

Thanks and regards,
    Engine

11. TeMerc

TeMerc Registered Member

Hi Enginie, glad to provide what I know, along with some other info.

The following are installed on my machine. Win XP SP1/256 MB
    AdAware SE w/AdWatch
    Spybot S&D
    SpywareGuard
    SpywareBlaster
    SpySweeper
    WinPatrol
    IE-SPYAD
    MVPS Hosts
    Norton System Works '02
    Norton Personal Firewall'03
    Panicware FreePopup Stopper
    Google Bar
    MRU Blaster
    Trillian Pro

I have zero troubles with any of these apps, and have had them for some time now. Also, recently, over at Spyware Warriors, we created a page trying to exeplain the way security apps operate(protection/prevention/removal) with regards to WIN XP.
    XP Security Apps Operation

I left Bill P a note for some info, and he repsonded very quickly, and I was impressed with what he had to say. Here is the link:
    WinPatrol Forums.

Hope that helps some. :cool:

12. Engine

Engine Guest

Thanks TeMerc for your comprehensive reply. Meanwhile I run WinPatrol and result is the same like you ... NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Regards,
    Engine

13. jedi

jedi Registered Member

Here is a canned protection speech used regularly at Spywareinfo.
    I use it myself, as do many others;

In order to be better protected in the future, I recommend the following programs:

SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

Both are very small free programs that you run once, and then just occasionally to check for updates.
    (In other words, yes SpywareBlaster is safe)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.