Is running a million security programs necessary?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jedispork, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratwing

ratwing Guest

@dw426:

Yes, thanks to my SECURITY PROGRAMS,and luck,I also downloaded a
    multitude of trash,but did not execute it.

That was stage one.
    Stage two is not to download it in the first place.

(my apologies to JRViejo, I did not know the lady in question even had a website. being as she is,old school 1990s.)

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

LUA doesn't work that way. You may be thinking of UAC. If you set it up with an LUA and don't give them the admin password then that would keep them from installing things, both good and bad. You can lock them down even more with a software restriction policy. You could set it up like that and tell them to either live with it or find someone else to clean up their mess.

3. Jav

Jav Guest

I don't think anyone would agree to this...

4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Maybe not, but I wouldn't give them a choice. It isn't fun trying to clean up the mess some people make assuming that someone else will fix it for them.

5. jedispork

jedispork Registered Member

Their computer is really bad right now. I've been trying to come up with ideas on how to help them. My parents told me not to worry about it unless they ask me. Its a older xp setup and is already preloaded with a bunch of junk but it would run. After I do a reformat they are quick to work on loading it up with every kind of toolbar and auto start garbage that they can find. Then a kid comes over and has file sharing programs setup to host all kinds of stuff. I warned them that their computer is making them a target for a lawsuit.

I've thought about locking them down but they would just pester me for the password so they can get in and break everything. It is interesting to test out malware scanners and such on their pc :D

My last idea, if they ask me for help is to install ubuntu. This way I could have a clean locked system and windows is still there for them to have a free for all.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've read your posts on your situation. I know they are family, but you know what? Sometimes even family isn't worth dealing with. They are full grown adults, responsible for their own actions. If they can't be bothered to help themselves, or even care, why on earth should anyone help them or bother to care? Not knowing about security is a problem you can fix. Not caring isn't. I've been in your situation before, believe me, it's not worth you worrying over. About the only thing you MIGHT have success with is putting Returnil/Shadow Defender on there, keeping it running, and password protect it...NOT giving them the password.

Sandboxie is too easy to muck with and disable the protection, and it only covers so much. Returnil/ShadowDefender will cover the whole thing and they can do what they want, except infect the system again. Treat them like a kid if you need to, if ignoring them isn't an option.

Edit: Regarding your Ubuntu idea, I think these people are actually capable of breaking and infecting even Linux.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

lol:D iremember i installed sandboxie and configure the best i could and my friend still got infected with 250 malware in her computer:D dont ask me how she got infected but she did:argh:

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Perhaps you missed the "Start/Run" and "Internet Access" settings? Or, she got a hold of a media player and ran files through it un-sandboxed? If her browsers were forced to run sandboxed and so were her media players...I think we need to see this malware. She may have found a goldmine of virtual app-destroying baddies, lol.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i think it was "Start/Run" and "Internet Access" settings that i may missed to configure but the browser was force to be sandbox,i think she recovers the malware and didnt run them sandbox:D

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

*shakes head and smiles* Geez, lol.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

at least i made prevx/mbam/hitman/sas work:argh: and they got the job done especially hitman pro:thumb:

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

13. Sariel Fallen

Sariel Fallen Registered Member

Rising in combination
    with ThreatFire and Outpost is my favourite protection. :D

14. Jav

Jav Guest

Yeah, I do understand what you mean :doubt:

removal devices, like USB, CDs?

Or even more trival, rercover and run unsanboxed...

It's too easy to infect this security, if you don't care about it :(

15. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It sounds like Returnil is what you need there ;)

16. jedispork

thanks for the returnil suggestions. If I have to help them again thats what they are going to get. Over the weekend when visiting some different family I ended up helping with a router problem. Apparently it had been acting up for a while and was slowing the connection down to a crawl even though someone else there claims nothing was wrong with it. So I get in there, help them setup a password, reset the router and modem and hope everything will be working. The router was already failing and it was done for after the reset. Thankfully they had a working spare but I'm sure they think that my tinkering broke it from the way they were acting.

So from now on I will avoid helping people with their computers because they won't let me help them help their selves. A buddy says he tries to hide the little he knows so not to be bothered all the time.

My gf and parents will listen to my suggestions so I will help them anytime. I decided on a standard configuration for our computers. Avira free, FireFox with ab+, and SandBoxie set for full access to the ff profile folder so ab+ can get updates.

17. progress

progress Guest

It's not necessary at all but it's a nice hobby :D

18. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Haha! Best post yet. :D

19. Creer

Creer Registered Member

This may be a hobby or a more serious addiction :D

20. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

The Parable of the Home Security System

Home Security System
    Once upon a time, there was a man who wanted to protect the valuables in his home. He had stamps, coins, cash, photos, pictures, old letters, financial documents and of course family members (and a computer). He took certain actions and made certain purchases to implement a protection and recovery system.
    1. Installed deadbolt locks on all his doors
    2. Installed bars on his basement windows
    3. Installed a monitored security system to detect motion and broken windows and glass doors
    4. Installed smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to detect fire and poisonous gas. He had fire extinguishers for small fires.
    5. Established a escape plan for his family in the event of disaster and conducted a fire drill
    6. Purchased insurance for these valuables
    7. Kept some valuables and copies in an off site safety deposit box. (SDB)

With this layered system, he hoped to minimize intruders, detect and deal with them if they did get in. As well, he had some ability to replace valuables and recover others. It was imperfect but at least he had a plan.

Home Computer Security System
    As he worked on computer security, he felt he should try to emulate the house security system for his computer setup.
    1. Deadbolt: installed a router with a hardware firewall in it to block / filter out bad incoming data packets
    2. Bars: installed a strong well configured software firewall in case the deadbolt was circumvented or left unlocked by visiting teenagers, cousins and other friends and relatives.
    3. Motion detectors: installed a strong well configured real time heuristic antivirus and a Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) to detect and nullify any bad executables that got past deadbolts and bars and were behaving in a suspicious manner
    4. Smoke Detectors: installed a strong well configured antivirus/antimalware software package that was current up to the hour and scanned for fires, smoke and poison gas daily. If small he quarantined them.
    5. Escape plan: in the event that 1 to 4 failed, he had a current backup and recovery system based on disk images so he could go back in time and restore things the way they were before the failure. He also had a fire drill to test the recovery system to ensure it works.
    6. Insurance: If 1 to 5 failed, he had current computer recovery disks in the safety deposit box hoping never to have to use them.
    7. Off Site: As insurance he had copies of all key data in digital form off site in the SDB.

With this layered system, he hoped to minimize intruders, detect and deal with them if they did get in. As well, he had some ability to replace valuables and recover others. It was imperfect but at least he had a plan.

21. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Escalader, nice analogy :)

22. jedispork

I also have a home security system that I installed myself :D
    I've been broken into and now believe every home should have one. Your door locks are only as good as the door frame. Most of the time they will kick in a door because they can do it in a few kicks. Also bars on basement windows can be a terrible idea. Just cover the area with your alarm or secure the basement door if your really paranoid.

23. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ Escalader
    One word, Brilliant.

Thanks.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

escalater are you sort of a poet?;) :thumb:

25. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Well no not a poet, a retired engineer.

Spent a lot of time as a freelance computer system design instructor with community colleges. Found out students learn better via analogies to things they knew first hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.