Is pagefile.sys excluded automatically during image backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jctay, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jctay

jctay Registered Member

My system: XP sp3, ATIH 2009 build 9791.

My observation
    When ATIH2009 is first installed, pagefile.sys is automatically excluded during partition image backup.

When changes are made to Tools/options/default backup options/, it is changed.
    1. In backup wizard, the exclude files disappear from the add/edit/remove box for no reason, though some exclude files are selected in the default backup options.
    2. Pagefile.sys is no longer excluded from the backup image. It can be found by exploring the tib file.

I found no way to revert back, unless perform another clean install of ATIH 2009.

Anyone has similar observation?

Regards,
    jc

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

TI has always excluded the pagefile and the hibernation file, if any, even in versiosns prior to those allowing you to selectively exclude files. However, a few byte placeholder is written into the archive. There is no point including these files as they are recreated on bootup.

Is this different from what you are seeing? Are you seeing the entire file or just a small placeholder?

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just to add the placeholder may well show the full size of the two files as although the actual file is not included, the entry in the file table is not touched and Windows will get all the file size details from the MFT entry.

Search the file using a Unix/Linux system and it will show somewhere around 16 - 64 bytes for the place holders.

4. jctay

jctay Registered Member

Thanks for your reply, seekforever & Bodgy.

Certainly, I wanted pagefile.sys to be excluded from the tib.
    I compared the tib files with and without pagefile.sys exclusion, the difference in size is insignificant. Hence it may be right to say that it is just a placeholder.

However, there are issues here.

A) As explained in my first thread, there is discrepancy. The pagefile.sys is not in the tib until user make selection with the default backup options.

B) The default backup options on "Source file exclusion" is not executed correctly. The entered exclusion files do not appear in the backup wizard-- entry in add/edit/remove box always blanked.

C) When the tib file was recovered to another disk*, the size of pagefile.sys after recovery was about 4 GB. Do you agree that unnecessary time is spent to create this "useless" file of size 4GB?

*ATIH 2009 was run from a bootup harddisk.

Regards,
    jc

5. perlok

perlok Registered Member

Yes , I expierence the same problem , but in my case reinstallation has not solved the problem. Had to restore.

ATI 2009 full version , build 9770. Problem is recreatable.
    Acronis customer support contacted.

Regards, Per

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.