Is Outpost Free IS Still Updated?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Brandonn2010, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I checked on Softpedia and it hasn't been updated, at least there, since 2011. Has it been discontinued?

2. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

No, it's still available but only gets updated once in a while. It's pretty nice for a free firewall and it works.

3. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

As long as it can update signatures and rules it's not dead. I use it in my windows 7 partition. I have no problems with it.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

which av does it use.?

5. Manny Carvalho

That's right and signatures and rules do get updated.

The Security suite now uses the Agnitum AV engine. It used to be the Virus Buster engine but VB went out of business with this and transferred the technology to Agnitum. They have recently started up their own AV lab. Agnitum is now supplying all the signatures which as of today amount to juat about 10.2 million of them.

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks Manny, you're a gentleman.

7. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

what manny said,although the engine has not been updated in a while i think.

8. Manny Carvalho

I try but that little devil makes it awful hard work. :D

The engine has been updated a bunch of times. The most recent was in July to v 5.5.2. Here it is: http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/antivirus-core-engine-auto-upgrade-to.html You can search the blog for the other times.

And you can see that engine is working well since they now have 12 VB100 awards in a row and they recently sent people to the VB2012 Dallas conference. I think they are serious about getting into the AV business. Look at the top three blogs here: http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

9. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I live in england and inthe retail stores i have never seen outpost pro or other products for sale.they tend to sell norton and kaspersky etc.
    At the moment im unable to purchase online and this seems to be the only way to purchase some products.
    Im familiar with the outpost firewall and it seems very good but as i say im confined to using free products at the moment.
    I do have a kaspersky image but i find kaspersky rather too heavy for my liking.:argh:

10. Manny Carvalho

I've never seen a boxed set in a store either but I rarely buy it software that way anyway. The easiest way is to purchase online. I use a virtual credit card of such things that create a one time number linked just for that purchase. It has a limited time and money on it and if anybody steals the number it just doesn't matter.

The free products are good and can be very useful. Personally, I don't like the limitations placed on the free firewall but let's face it a company can't give way its products and survive. Particularly a small company like Agnitum.

11. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I've been using this on a newly refurbished PC. From time to time the updater fails to update completely. So you have to shutdown the service and remove the impartial definitions before trying again. Although it's annoying, it is free. I've learned to put off updating until after 5PM (PST). For whatever reason, I get impartial definitions if I attempt an update in the morning and around noon. Not a terrible option for those looking to save money.

Current Setup (Refurbished PC):
    OS Windows 7 64-bit
    Bufferzone Pro + Outpost Free + Malwarebytes Pro

12. Manny Carvalho

There have been a few problems with the update server, which is located in the US, hanging up or having too much traffic. Agnitum has added more capacity and that should all be resolved now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.