Is OpenJDK just awful?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Hungry Man, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't know if it's me or OpenJDK but most Java I've run into lately is barely working if at all. Various websites simply won't load it/ it will crash and Minecraft flat out doesn't work.

Am I just having issues?

2. x942

x942 Guest

I only use it for MineCraft. It does work for me but only on Version 6 not 7 Idk why. I remove it unless I happen to be playing a LAN party so I don't notice many issues.

3. Hungry Man

Well, I might actually have to use the Java JRE. Thankfully there's apparmor so I can lock it down a fair amount. I can probably chroot it as well.

4. Hungry Man

I went ahead and just removed Java. I can live without it.

5. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Has anyone found a good solution if you need Java? I very reluctantly need to install a Java runtime environment for a webcast series I want to see. I tried OpenJDK JRE but HungryMan is right- it blows. It doesn't work for the webcast.

I'll try Version 6, although I REALLY hate running outdated software.

Has anyone used Oracle's JRE in Linux?

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Java has banned from my machine a long time ago.
    no apps is worth that aggravation.

there are always alternatives...

7. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Mine too. The irony is it's required these webinars on security I want to see. :D

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

hopefully, you can get those webinars done soon enough and uninstall Java soon thereafter. ;)

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just boot off Linux Mint 13 live cd and do what you need to do. It has java installed out of the box.... works fine...

10. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

As for Minecraft not working, You need to install LWJGL.
    hxxp://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tutorials/Update_LWJGL

11. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Brilliant. I'm doing this! As a bonus it will also give me a chance to try out Mint. Thanks :-*
    #UninstallingJavaRightNow

12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I run a few Java based apps e.g. burp suite and eclipse that run no problem with OpenJDK.
    Burp Suite occasionally crashes (memory) on the same machine using Oracle Java on Win 7 (never with OpenJDK), eclipse just plain slow in Ubuntu or Win7 :p

I have a some audio frequency anaylser software that frequently has problems finding an audio device or locking access to the device with OpenJDK. I did on occasion have these issues with sun java though, but far less frequently.

Cheers, Nick.

13. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

FWIW, You have to use a DVD-R for Mint to work. I tried a DVD-RW and apparently Mint has compatibility issues. But Java works out-of-the-box on a DVD-R.

A perfect solution to use Java and avoid installing it.

I tried OpenJDK 6 and OpenJDK 7 on Ubuntu, but neither worked for the application I was using.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's what I do here when I'm running Ubuntu... it's rare that I ever need java anyway, maybe once a year or something..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.