Is Norton SytemWorks 2005 worth buying?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Tru_Snoop, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

[MOVE]Hey guys;[/MOVE]

I read online about windows registry being corrupt, so I was thinking maybe I should get Norton System Works 2005 to check and fix my computer's windows registry and other unwanted files. Should I trust norton's registry cleaning tool? or even any tool to repair my pc's registry. If not norton then is there any other turst worthy program out there for registry repair. I have used Norton products before and never had any problems with them. I am using Norton Internet Security 2005 at the moment. It runs very good on my computer. However, I never used norton's Systemwork software. Is that any good? Has anyone used it? Will it fix my computer problems or cause more problems? lol

[MOVE]I need your opinion guys........................thank you.[/MOVE]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Here's what Fred Langa recently had to say about it:
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-02-28.htm#2

Here's a few other member's take:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=63270&highlight=systemworks

My own opinion is that if you invested in Raxco's PerfectDisk (disk defragmenter) and RegSupreme Pro (registry cleaner), and use a free utility like Softes Windows Cleaner 2005, you'd have the same thing but a whole lot better, just split up into a few different programs.

If all you want is registry defrag and backup, however, here's two free, but excellent, tools:
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

3. tophat

tophat Guest

I wouldn't pay the regular full price for it, but if you can get it for under $40. US that probably wouldn't be too bad of a deal. If you have an older version or can get the original retail disk of an older version (Ebay= dirt cheap prices ;) ), you just mail in the old disk to get a $30. upgrade rebate. Remember, it doesn't matter what sort of shape the old disk is in, you'll still get the $30. for it. Then if you look at places like CompUSA or BestBuy you can often find a sale where it will be free or nearly free after rebate (including the $30. upgrade rebate I mentioned).

It is still a helpful app to have IMO. But does seem to have a couple less features than the 2003 version I had previously. I still find NSW to be a useful program myself. I especially like Goback and find it to be much better than system restore. Goback 4 (which comes with NSW 2005) seems like a big improvement over older versions too, with many more features.

I would recommend it, but only if you can get a good price for it. I would never pay full price. Like I said $40. or less seems fair, free being the best price....of course ;) .

4. TylerGred

TylerGred Registered Member

What makes PerfectDisk better than the standard windows defrag?

Does PerfectDisk do a better job?

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

In regards to the original question I would like indeed point to the review of Notok but in regards of the different "top"suites, I had read sometime ago a review regarding several suits and I truely can follow their opinion.

http://www.pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,113743,00.asp

cause system suite and system mechanic are great. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  6. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

i use acelogix's ace utilities . i love this program, and they offer a free trial. i also use their registry compactor which you can get for free when you by the ace utilities program. along with diskeeper 9.0 i have been very satisfied! in regards to Norton System Works 2005, i wouldn't by it!

7. Infinity

oeps

:oops: :p :D

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

PerfectDisk just does a better job of consolidating everything, and it can also arrange everything according to how often they are modified, which keeps the fragmentation down over time. It's the first one that I can really say has made a difference :)

The other utilities mentioned here are very good as well, I guess it just depends on whether you'd rather have one suite of tools or build your own. Definitely read through the Langa article, though, as Windows does already have a lot of the stuff in Norton SystemWorks, and I haven't found Norton to be particularly better than the built in Windows apps, with the exception of maybe GoBack, which you can get separately. The makers of PerfectDisk make the same kind of thing too, among others.

9. Infinity

I use Perfect disk too...cause it is true, it is making a difference.

regarding Norton systemworks...it is just not better then the other ones...in fact it will be as slow as norton antivirus, and a lot slower eventually ;)

defragmentation as a whole doesn't do that much to my system to be honest.
    some years ago or at my fathers old laptop it could make a difference but nowadays :) just like those ramcleaners and ramboosters and optimisation tools :) who needs it? I don't But I used to believe in those things ...
    :-*

10. Infinity

I use Perfect disk too...cause it is true, it is making a difference.

regarding Norton systemworks...it is just not better then the other ones...in fact it will be as slow as norton antivirus, and a lot slower eventually ;)

defragmentation as a whole doesn't do that much to my system to be honest.
    some years ago or at my fathers old laptop it could make a difference but nowadays :) just like those ramcleaners and ramboosters and optimisation tools :) who needs it? I don't But I used to believe in those things ...

11. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

What makes perfect disk better?

- well, it's better across the board, but if nothing else it works much more quickly than windows defragmenter. The less time a defragmenter takes, the more likely I will use it.

As to the registry, it has always been regarded by me as a place were there is more potential to do harm than good. That said, I just purchased JV16 from Macecraft. They are the makers of RegSupreme which is a cheaper version of JV16, but I believe it has the same registry fixing tools. Why did I get it?

1) its interesting to see what programs are really scrambled...usually do to little or no uninstallation when the programs supposedly uninstalled

2) This time I will be careful! I will start with the obvious. Just do a little at a time.

Notok offered I think the excellent choices, in that for probably the same amount of money you will get two powerful useful tools that are acknowledged as among the best in their catagories.

-HandsOff

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Excellent choice! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.