Is it Ok to use KAV 4.5 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Trans, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trans

Trans Registered Member

Do you believe I'm well protected using KAV 4.5.0.97 ?

I use it as an on demand scanner only to scan files I download...
    I'm very happy with it as it detects trojans also well and never
    had a single problem with it for more than a year.

An upgrade to newest KAV series will add much to the protection
    of my PC ? Maybe some problems as I see at some threads ?

I remind you that I rarely (never ?) use the Monitor for real time
    protection and I have Xp Pro SP1.

Thanks in advance for your help
    :)

2. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

Hi Trans

Even I use the same version of KAV only for scans on demand. I also use other programs for on demand scan (Ewido free, BitDefender free, A2 Free).

As real time protection I use NOD32 with BOClean.

All the results tend to be the same.

I' don't like and I don't trust Kav v. 5.

On the other hand Kav definition have to be very good in order to let this setup be excellent.

Read this thread too

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=92993

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes. Detection is as good as the present version.
    Therefore, no great reason to change.
    IMO, most of the problems with KAV 5 arise due to accepting the default install.

But once KAV 2006 arises, I would seriously consider upgrading then as this version has a number of extra features including an HTTP scanner and proactive defense of the real-time Guard.

However, if you only want to run an AV as an on-demand scanner even this upgrade may not be essential.
    Time for an upgrade here?

4. Trans

Trans Registered Member

Thanks again guys
    :)

Do you think SP2 has something really essential to add ?
    I visit Windows updates regularly for patches and I'm somewhat
    reluctant to upgrade if I don't see that is really worth it for some
    reasons :)

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Hello Trans,
    4.5 will probably protect you well depending on your surfing habits, and apparently you are conservative if you have stayed uninfected for long with your current configuration, but I would highly recommend that you install SP2, all security updates and run a real time AV monitor at the minimum. The WWW can be very hazardous these days with all the nasties out there.

Regards & Good Luck

6. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi Trans

I've been using KAV 4.5 Pro for two years, and switched to version 5 two weeks ago. As Blackat correctly points, databases are the same, hence equal detection capabilities.

On the other hand, version 4.5 is more configurable than version 5, which has not a very adequate support for command line scanning using switches, for example. In what concerns this area, I am afraid KL has given a step backwards, although they say next version 6 will fully support this option. Let's see.

Of course version 5 is more user friendly and its scanning engine runs faster than that of version 4.5, probably because of IChecker technology (I do not use IStreams).

Regards

Rui

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I'm in fact not sure 4.5 is ready for SP2 (or was this just the securitycenter thing), anyway there is a later version called 4.5.104, you can still grab it here. :)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  8. Rui

Rui Registered Member

KAv 4.5.104 has no compatibility problems working with SP2. However, as far as I can remeber, is not recognized by Windows Security Center. It is just a minor inconvenience, though. Just disable AV monitoring by Windows. All will be fine.

Regards

Rui

9. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

JMHO but I personally prefer KAV 4.5 over the latest versions 5.x which seem to have had problems of various kind. I use NAV 2005 as my primary realtime scanner but love KAV 4.5 as a manual backup, especially to test samples on.

I just came across the link to the latest version of 4.5.x which came out in August of 2004: here are the Release Notes:

Version 4.5.0.104 Release date: August 27, 2004

You can download it from ICE Systems:
    http://www.useice.com/_chtnarm.htm
    {Scroll down to where it says, "KAV Personal Pro 4.5.104". I avoid putting the direct download link, since such practice of direct links is frowned on here}.

That is the version I have been using since it was released. I really love it, I think that 4.5.x is the best one. HTH .. ;)

Take Care,
    Warmly, Ran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.