Is it Just Me, or is Avira Buggy?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Brandonn2010, Jan 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

You are welcome!

2. Trooper

Just wanted to let you know I am getting no where with support. They seem to be reading off of a script vs. reading what I am writing.

That said, don't think this will be resolved as I don't have the time to explain to Avira support what Tenable Nessus is. I also dont have time to uninstall Avast and re-install Avira to test.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I have to say that I've encountered this as well.

4. Trooper

Sorry to hear that man. Avira is great, but definitely buggy. To bad their support is lame as well.

5. The Hammer

I like it well enough to have picked up another licence and the support forum is top notch in my view.

6. Trooper

Really? Wow. I dont think its anything to write home about. Im not talking about their support forum, I am talking about email support. Its very lame.

7. The Hammer

Email support is a weakness for many Av products it seems.

8. Trooper

Yeah. I dunno if they do it on purpose to wear you down, or if they just enjoy reading off of their script(s).

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

lets set the record, Avira is still one of the best two AV products out there. It would still be on all of my computers if it wasnt for one frigging buggy issue. Its HTTP scanner literally slows web page loading to a complete stop some times. My whole family has complained about this. This is on 4 totally different setups. They have got to address this.

In the meantime Ikarus is really growing on me.:thumb:

10. boelectronic

boelectronic Registered Member

I think a temporary solution can be remove the webguard from installation and use a sandboxed browser like Google Chrome or Firefox+Sandboxie and in case a malware get downloaded by your browser Avira guard will block it.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Particularly when dealing with irascible users of the free versions.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Avera's web Guard caused Thunderbird's Mail retrieval system to malfunction, it contacted Gmail's mail server alright the connection stayed open for 10 minutes. While not allowing any mail through. I uninstalled Avera's mail module problem gone

13. The Hammer

The issue hasn't occurred frequently enough for me to post on Avira's forum yet. But for you it appears to be a different story. What have they said about it to you?

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I have used Avira for a long time and have never experienced anything like this.
    Is it possible that the upgrade (?) that requires SP3 for WIN XP is responsible for that ? Since I still use SP2 I didn't get that upgrade.

15. The Hammer

People on Win 7 have experienced it as well.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

No AV is perfectly adaptable to all machines. As every system may be similar to others in terms of the choice of the OS, there are so many parameters that can create conflicts which translate into slowdowns or even blue screens.

High CPU usage, slow web browsing, long boot times are a few of the symptoms that any AV can create on a particular system. It is obviously irritating when it's happening, and rather than vilifying the company for a buggy product, one should be prepared to deal with it with an open mind or just change to a different product without being too emotional about it.

With Avira Premium version 10, I couldn't use ProActiv and the web guard because of slowdowns and occasional blue screens which in retrospect were attributable to Avira in conjunction with Sandboxie and Chrome. All of these problems are now gone with Avira12 and subsequent versions of Sandboxie (although I'm using Avira12 on demand at the moment).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.