Is it Finally time to make the switch ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by msanto, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

I've installed and tried 2.5, and I tried 2.12 last year (and I did buy it), but I keep having trouble pulling the trigger and completely making the switch (from McAfee).

Some of it's just that I'm used to McAfee, some of it's because I read stuff on these forums about missed trojans or missed virii. Last year it was because IMON was having to be set into higher compatibility mode all the time in order to keep problems from occurring on various websites.

On the other hand, I also run BOClean and TDS-3 so missed trojans shouldn't worry me ...

So, let me get the scoop from you who have been using NOD32 for some time. To me, 2.5 is far more polished than 2.12 was and I'm really tempted to just drop McAfee ... but it's still hard for me to pull the trigger. What do all you long-term users think?

Have any of you:

a) had problems you just couldn't get around with NOD32?
    b) had serious issues because NOD32 missed a virus that say, Norton or McAfee would have found?

etc. etc.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

msanto

I'll move this to the other antivirus forum since it is not a support question for NOD32.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

msanto,

My own answers are:

a) No. In fact, my older son also runs NOD32 due to a problem he had with another AV. This could go in any direction with any AV, but of the one's I've run, NOD32 has clearly been the most compatible all around.

b) Nope. I run BOClean as well. It saw activity on one very new malware link I purposely visited some time ago. In normal surfing, it hasn't seen anything in the past year or so. NOD32 seems to snag everything. This is routine surfing.

It works as it should on my system, minimal slowdowns during application switching/loading/etc., and great detection performance. I also run BOClean with it, although BOC hasn't been busy - not that I'm sad over that or about to shove BOC off to the side. I'll keep both active for the foreseeable future.

Blue

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My experience is pretty much the same as BlueZannetti's.. I've been running it for a couple years now without issue. I use one of a few ATs that I have with it, but never had anything more than the Alexa spyware that comes with IE slip by NOD32 (this was before NOD32 included any detection for spyware.) I've also put NOD32 on several other people's machines, most high risk users, and combining NOD32 with a firewall and system hardening they haven't had a single problem. It's also been very compatible with everything I've run, and IMON issues have pretty much always been the exception.. however it comes set to higher compatibility by default, so you would have to manually switch it over to begin with. I say give it a go, I've had nothing but positive experiences with it :)

5. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

No to both of your questions, NOD32 is by far my favorite AV out of the ones I have tried (AVG, Avast, Bitdefender, McAfee to name a few). I used to have McAfee on this machine a while back, then after I reformatted I ran AVG free for a while then this past January I switched to NOD and have not looked back. I have had a few very bad experiences with McAfee, it let some malware slip in when I used to have it, and I have seen it really mess up someone’s machine. But anyway NOD is great; it is light/fast and offers great protection. For me it came down to KAV and NOD, I choose NOD because I wanted something that did not slow my system down at all and I am not a very high risk user that would require all the extra defs that KAV provides. Like Notok I have had only very small issues with NOD that were cured by switching the app to higher comptability. I do not think you will regret your move to NOD!

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You might want to check Rendering Issues V2.5 on NOD Forum

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

In my experience:

1)Some minor problems were there with NOD, but I could get them fixed.
    2)My brother runs McAfee and what I saw was that NOD32 caught one malware McAfee didnt, and McAfee caught a downloader that NOD32 didnt.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

and my experience:

1) no
    2) no but if nod32 missed a virus, i know that i can just submit it and it doesnt make me feel any less safe.

nod32 offers the best of both worlds, great detection rates and low resource usage plus its http scanner catches viruses before theyre downloaded/created on ur hd. id say nod32 is worth the switch.

9. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Based on what I read, the rendering issues are for Matrox or DX8 ATI cards. Right now I have an nVidia card in the machine I'm trying NOD32 on; I was thinking of putting in a 9800 Pro (DX9) card that I lent a friend and am getting back, however.

If the DX8 theory is correct, this should not cause any rendering issues ... right?

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

msanto,

If you have concerns, wait until you can do an actual test on your machine. We could all speculate until we're blue in the face, and still be where we started out at the end of it.

Blue

11. msanto

msanto Registered Member

OK, got the card back, installed Catalyst 5.5 ... no rendering problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.