Is it a good idea to use Jetico "profiles" for online gaming?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by S13, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S13

S13 Registered Member

Jetico (which I love, its cruel - but fair) comes with 3 built-in profiles: allow all, optimized and block all.
    As far as I understood, having a long rule set can be heavy on the cpu and also increase the precious ping in online gaming (BF2..)

suppose I created a new profile built like this:
    1. basic rules for network access.
    2. an online game rule as a trusted application.
    3. block all.

then when I play a game, I simply load that profile and voila! a thin role set dedicated for games.

or am I horribly wrong?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nope that should work, but if the firewall is that heavy when handling the rules maybe LnS would be a better fw for online gaming.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see the need for a whole separate rule set just for games. Why can't you just use the optimized rule set and add a few rules that you might need for games? I doubt there is any speed difference there. The general idea is to keep the rule set as simple and clean as possible, but I don't think adding a couple of game rules makes much difference. The default rule set is pretty good as is, with just a few personalizing tweaks as needed.

4. S13

S13 Registered Member

i think i am too influenced by the media
    all this hunt for the highest FPS, lowest ping.. got to me.

Many thanks for your answers and for explaining this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.